Sulcata question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atra42o

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Baltimore, Md
This might be a silly question, but does he still get good uv rays if he's sleeping in his shell in the shade? If so, would he have to be outside longer to get the same amount of uv he would as if he was in direct sunlight? Thanks guys

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
To a degree, yes he does get UV in the shade. I saw an article on UV for reptiles that stated the UV level in the shade in Southern TX was higher than in direct sunshine in Minnesota. The closer to the equator you are the stronger the UV concentration. UV does bounce around and refract into the shade too. The next thing to understand is that there is a huge paucity of legitimate studies done on tortoises, their anatomy and their physiology. So just to repeat what I have been told, tortoises convert D2 into D3 in their skin, much the way people do. So even when a sulcata is closed up, the leg skin is still exposed and absorbing UV, even in the shade on a sunny day.

To put it another way, I wouldn't worry too much about this. Most babies hide all the time, and almost all of them hide from the sun on a hot day, for most of the day. As long as your tortoise is outside for at least 30 minutes two or three times a week, you should never see any hint of MBD. Artificial indoor UV and calcium supplements will just be "icing on the cake". There is really no set amount of time that they must be in direct sunshine. This is why I like to use outdoor enclosure that I can just leave them in for a while. Once mine get a little size on them, I just leave them out all day, everyday, weather permitting. If this is not an option for some people, then just do as much as you can. When I lived in an apartment, I would sun my sulcata a much as time permitted during the week, and I never had any MBD issues.

Atra42o

5 Year Member
Baltimore, Md
Ok, thank u... I try to leave him outside as much as I can during the day (weather permitting) but I have to keep moving his enclosure so that half is in direct sunlight and half is shady. I was just wondering should I keep moving it throughout the day, or just leave it alone? Also, (a little off topic) but, can they feel the surface of their shell (like if u lightly pet it) or is it only pressure?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What I do is study my allotted area for a few days and watch where the sun moves throughout the day, then build accordingly. If this is not an option, I stick the pen where it needs to be and then build in shade and cooling mechanisms around it.

To the best of our knowledge, they do have a blood supply and nerve ending in their "shell". Its in quotes because, the outer keratinous coating is not vascularized, but the inner layers and the underlying bone are. So yes, They can feel it when you touch their shell. Probably similar to somebody touching the top of your fingernail...

Atra42o

5 Year Member
Baltimore, Md
Ok cool... I am amazed at the amount of info I have learned from u and the other members and the ability to explain it so well... Thanks again, I really appreciate all the time and effort everyone always puts into answering my questions

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I can't speak for everyone, but I just want to help. When I was starting out, there was not a lot of help available, and not a lot was known. There was certainly no internet or google...

I love learning new things too, and there are a lot of people to learn from here. TFO has helped me tremendously too.

Atra42o

5 Year Member
Baltimore, Md
Well, I'm certainly grateful for everyone here, cuz w/o u guys, I'd be lost... It's much easier to come here and read all the threads and ask questions rather than wade through all the conflicting info on the web. I know I'm getting quality advice from everyone here, and their only agenda is to educate others because they truly care about living things and want to see them thrive. Many thanks from Oogway and I, this forum and it's members are a valuable asset that is not only informative, but interesting and every new owner should know its available =)

Status
Not open for further replies.