Sulcata, redfoot mix??

Status
Not open for further replies.

hlester22

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Kentucky
Just got a new female redfoot the other day. She's 7 1/2 in long. The people I got her from kept her in an enclosure with a 30 lb male sulcata. Is she egg laying size and am I gonna have to worry about them being fertilized by the sulcata when ever she does start laying eggs?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
No they are not closely related enough for egg laying, it is not like a leopard and sulcata mix.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
In any case all new torts should be kept separately for at least 6 months as quarantine . They should not be together now.

It is also not recommended to mix species as pathogens can lie dormant in one and cause harm to another.

Finally torts are generally solitary in the wild and do not take kindly to sharing with new company.

In the long term health interests of both, I recommend they are separated and remain so.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I believe the OP is not keeping them together, they said they got the tortoise from someone who was keeping them together.

hlester22

5 Year Member
Kentucky
Thanks. Good to know that I wont have to worry about that. I wouldnt even begin to know how to deal with that kind of mix. And no, I don't keep any of my torts togeather. They all have separate enclosures. I figure if I don't have room for them to have their own enclosure, then I have no business getting another one.

Status
Not open for further replies.