Sulcata Shell

Status
Not open for further replies.

lkwagner

5 Year Member
I've read a few different things on the forum that people put on their sulcatas shell. I even read that some people put olive oil mixed with calcium on the shell.
I have a two year old sulcata and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to what I could put on squirts shell every once and a while that he would benefit from

Here is a picture of him. He might be younger than two years but he's suppose to be between 1.5 and 2 years if that matters.

Attachments

• image-1820512895.png
    image-1820512895.png
    810.3 KB · Views: 102

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
There seems to be little to no benefit, but since there is no harm from it if you want to do so, go ahead, just don't expect much from it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Water, water and more water.

The moister you can keep his shell at this age, the better chance you have of raising a smooth sulcata.

I don't think its a good idea to cover the whole shell with a topical. I take a Q-tip and paint in between the scutes, on the growth lines, with olive oil. Then I wipe off the excess.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
I agree with Yvonne. A sulcata this size needs a humid environment to promote healthy shell growth. There are several threads on how to create and maintain such an environment. Read Tom's thread on "how to raise Sulcata Hatchlings and Babies. My sulcata was starting to pyramid when I got him. I was fortunate to stumble across this forum and Tom's thread. I made since to me and I followed it. The results have been marvelous. The initial pyramiding remains, but it is not so noticeable. His shell is certainly a much healthier shell than I would have had otherwise.

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
Brush on some vitamin E skin oil during a soak and rinse the excess under running water, it keeps the growth lines white and moist for a couple days longer than it would have been if I didn't do it. Not that I do it very often. But it really seems to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.