Sulcata tortoise- beginner please help

Liamjones1892

Location (City and/or State)
Scarborough
Good morning/evening, im looking at buying a sulcata tortoise and majorly need help with everything. I’ve read as much as possible online/and asked in various pet shops and every answer is different.
My main worry is this sulcata is currently 2 inches. We are in the process of building an outdoor enclosure with lots of space and room, but for the next fortnight it will be in an open top table, which is quite small, 1.3m x 1.0m. I know a sulcata cannot live in this space for long, but it’s temporary. My main worry is lighting, I bought a heat light (white) that’s around 45w and produces a 100+ degree basking area.
I need to know what uv light is best to use, what substrate is best to use and should I use heat mats? Also what percentage of uv does a sulcata need? The indoor temperature of my house is fairly high so the tortoise (with no heat mats/lights would sit at about 28 degrees celcius. I know this is not enough for a sulcata which is why I don’t know if I should use heat mats? And do they go inside the cage or will the tortoise dig and burn itself. The tortoise is due a week today and i want to be fully prepared. If ANYONE could give me advice/ links to lighting, or answer any of my questions please do. If I’m completely wrong in my approach please tell me. Thankyou in advance

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
It's going to be tough for me to advise specific brands to accommodate your needs since I live in the colonies and haven't the faintest clue what brands are available to you. As far as lighting / heat / UVB, I prefer the ReptiSun mercury vapor bulb. 100 watts accommodates my needs, but your needs may differ depending on the size and setup of your enclosure. For substrate, I like either coco coir or fine grade orchid bark (about 7 or 8 cm deep). They hold the humidity quite well and are mold resistant. I'm not a big fan of heat mats and feel they are a waste of money. Very important: if your temporary enclosure is not fully enclosed in order to trap the heat and humidity, then you will need to arrange that. Humidity levels should be maintained northward of 80% for a sully that young. All of the aforementioned (including proper diet) will help to ensure a vibrant, healthy tort and will aid significantly against "pyramiding". Hope that helps you some.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Good morning/evening, im looking at buying a sulcata tortoise and majorly need help with everything. I’ve read as much as possible online/and asked in various pet shops and every answer is different.
My main worry is this sulcata is currently 2 inches. We are in the process of building an outdoor enclosure with lots of space and room, but for the next fortnight it will be in an open top table, which is quite small, 1.3m x 1.0m. I know a sulcata cannot live in this space for long, but it’s temporary. My main worry is lighting, I bought a heat light (white) that’s around 45w and produces a 100+ degree basking area.
I need to know what uv light is best to use, what substrate is best to use and should I use heat mats? Also what percentage of uv does a sulcata need? The indoor temperature of my house is fairly high so the tortoise (with no heat mats/lights would sit at about 28 degrees celcius. I know this is not enough for a sulcata which is why I don’t know if I should use heat mats? And do they go inside the cage or will the tortoise dig and burn itself. The tortoise is due a week today and i want to be fully prepared. If ANYONE could give me advice/ links to lighting, or answer any of my questions please do. If I’m completely wrong in my approach please tell me. Thankyou in advance

Hello and welcome.

Most of your questions will be answered here. You've gotten some bad advice along the way. I hope we can help. After reading these, go ahead and unleash all your unanswered questions on us.
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome not sure what your outside enclosure is going to be. A sulcata should stay inside the first 2 yrs. Should be a large plastic tote or if you have building skills you can make your own. With a young tort outside time needs to be supervised and no colder than 18° celcius for half hr to 1 hr. If its hot outside then a hr might be to long. After outside time in the hot summer. I soak mine right after to make sure Opo doesn't get dehydrated. Look at the closed enclosures on this forum. It must be closed top to hold the humidity in. Good luck and keep asking questions..