Sulcata Tortoise - Care

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Location (City and/or State)
Alief
i would like to hear your opinions on how i care for my sulcata tortoise. i’ll with the food i give it, i offer Spring Mix which contains some (Maybe of the following Green leaf, Mizuna, Tango,Green oak, Green chard, baby spinach, arugula, frisse, Red chard, Red leaf, Raddicho. i also give it small grass clippings, hibiscus flower and leaves, collard, and turnip greens.
now for the care i offer 2 hides a water bowl and a food bowl and a log, which he likes to hang out around. the substrate is Scott’s topsoil. i’ll provide some images. the enclosure is outside but it’s a “closed chamber” style i’ll start soaking it each day also i got the tortoise around 8/16/19 she hasn’t grown much but he eats, and poops
any suggestions?
(also how does he look?)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 28
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 28
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 30
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,013.9 KB · Views: 25
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 22
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 22

nicoleann2214

NY
Temperature in the day 81-90
A tortoise should never be living on top soil, try cypress mulch mixed with coco choir or orchard bark. Also what is your humidity levels? Your tortoise looks smooth but without high humidity it will start to pyramid.

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
A tortoise should never be living on top soil, try cypress mulch mixed with coco choir or orchard bark. Also what is your humidity levels? Your tortoise looks smooth but without high humidity it will start to pyramid.
haha thanks for commenting, i do keep high humidity closed enclosures, but i open it for 1 hour to get “Natural” Sun Light. i’m surprised he hasn’t start to pyramid not even a minimal amount.

nicoleann2214

NY
haha thanks for commenting, i do keep high humidity closed enclosures, but i open it for 1 hour to get “Natural” Sun Light. i’m surprised he hasn’t start to pyramid not even a minimal amount.
You should be fine then, ditch the soil though

nicoleann2214

NY
i’ll try changing it. i known most people would rather use orchard bark and coco choir, but there’s moments where i live. is there anything else i can change or add?
I think you’re good other than your UVB might be a tad to close and eventually you’ll need a bigger enclosure. Good luck! :)

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
I was just curious y u keep it outdoors in a closed chamber? Wouldnt it be easier just to keep it inside to keep an eye on everything. And also y the uvb if its outside.. u can just let some sun in for an hr a day

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No soil. It is made from composted yard waste and there is no way to know what is in it. Could be something toxic. The people who make it do not intend for live animals to be living on it in indoor enclosures. Its also messy and muddy.

The foods you are offering sound good, but offer much more variety. More weeds and leaves.

I can't really see what else is going on in there. The picture is too dark.

Those fixtures should be hung over the top of the enclosure, not resting on the sides. What is in each of those fixtures?

What are your four temperatures? Warm side, cool side, basking area, and overnight low.

Have you been soaking daily?

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
my parents
I was just curious y u keep it outdoors in a closed chamber? Wouldnt it be easier just to keep it inside to keep an eye on everything. And also y the uvb if its outside.. u can just let some sun in for an hr a day
my parents get mad i leave soil all over the floor i use the uvb to make sure it’s actually getting it you know

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
ahh thank
No soil. It is made from composted yard waste and there is no way to know what is in it. Could be something toxic. The people who make it do not intend for live animals to be living on it in indoor enclosures. Its also messy and muddy.

The foods you are offering sound good, but offer much more variety. More weeds and leaves.

Those fixtures should be hung over the top of the enclosure, not resting on the sides. What is in each of those fixtures?

What are your four temperatures? Warm side, cool side, basking area, and overnight low.

Thanks Tom i enjoy you coming here, one of the fixtures has a CHE and the other one has a zoomed Powersun. the temperature is usually between 81-90 humidity i’m not sure it used to be at 80 now idk but it doesn’t seems to be pyraminding i started soaking everyday. what brand of cypress mulch should i get. unfortunately i can’t change the substrate atm. also i have plants seeds in there. in the night i take the tortoise inside n place in a small black tub with a CHE. and wash the shell before going to sleep

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief

Attachments

• A7232D87-AB5E-4456-988A-0CAC63343D37.jpeg
    A7232D87-AB5E-4456-988A-0CAC63343D37.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
  • D169C925-FE51-44FC-A876-A9647F5E8480.jpeg
    D169C925-FE51-44FC-A876-A9647F5E8480.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 7