Sulcata Tortoise eats dog and cat feces..

Status
Not open for further replies.

repowell

5 Year Member
Hi there,

I read this informative topic already posted concerning this issue (http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-3864.html) but I have a few questions of my own.

My sulcata tortoise is two years old. I try to give him variety in his diet-- clover, hay, carrot, everyday yard weeds (all-natural, no fertilizers or pest control), and romain and greenleaf lettuce (about once a week... from what I've read it should comprise no more than 25% of his diet.) I also give him a multivitamin (with beta carotene) and calcium powder a few times a week.

When I take him outside he spends most of his time foraging for and eating family cat or dog poop (they eat standard dog and cat foods and are not taking any medicines.) Is there something missing from his diet? How concerned should I be about this behaviour?

At first I restrained him, but the last few days I've just been letting him eat it.

I would appreciate any kind of assistance at all... thanks for your time.

M

Maggie Cummings

Sulcata are opportunistic feeders and will eat anything. IMHO it is your responsibility as his keeper to make sure he doesn't eat anything that could potentially harm him. I would not allow my tortoises eat others feces. If you use Ivermectin to worm your dogs and your tort eats that poop he will be poisoned and die. I know of a couple of keepers that lost their torts that way.
I keep my big Sulcata confined to a pen built for him so that makes it easier to keep harmful stuff away from him. I would not allow my tortoises free rein in my yard... HTH

repowell

5 Year Member
Thanks alot for your input. I have been receiving a lot of mixed messages about this subject (from reptile owners and from various sites on the web) so it was important for me to get a clear cut answer. I was worried that I might be depriving him of important nutrients, which is why he had such strong cravings for other animals' feces.

Better to be safe than sorry. I won't allow him to eat it in the future... I find it a bit repulsive, anyhow.

M

Maggie Cummings

Better to be safe than sorry. I won't allow him to eat in in the future... I find it a bit repulsive, anyhow.
[/quote]

Well...I kinda think you need to allow him to eat something in the future...

Reptile husbandry really has no set rules for keeping these guys, so when you go online to research you get many different opinions from everybody. But that's just what they are, opinions. What works for me might not work for you. I would continue to ask questions here because there is a wealth of knowledge to be gleaned from these minds. Because it is here where you will find the best and most consistent advice. Here's a couple of links to care sheets that are really good

http://africantortoise.com/

http://www.chelonia.org/Articles/sulcatacare.htm

repowell

5 Year Member

Oops, typo. I meant to say "I won't allow him to eat it [dog/cat feces] in the future."
Of course I'll continue to feed him. ;)

Thanks for the links. I'll explore both of those websites.

M

Maggie Cummings

repowell said:

Oops, typo. I meant to say "I won't allow him to eat it [dog/cat feces] in the future."
Of course I'll continue to feed him. ;)

Yeah, I know you will...I just love making jokes, and you not feeding him was funny to me...made me laugh...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Part of being a responsible pet owner is cleaning up after your pets. You have to go out there every day and pick up the dog and cat poop. Poop left laying around causes flies, maggots, etc. You could step in it & yuk!! So clean it up and don't let him eat it.

Yvonne

nrfitchett4

5 Year Member
some tortoises seem to have an affinity towards poo. Quite a few will eat their own if you don't get to it in time.

aktech23

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
they like dried poo the best, so if you get it when it's wet you should be good.

just watch out for that secret stash

vanessammm

5 Year Member
Central California
Bowser loves to eat his own poop. I've seen him with huge cigars sticking out of his mouth when I come home from work. Its like the pet that picks up after itself, Lol, Just kidding but I don't see how it can be harmful? High fiber?

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
A tortoise eating it's OWN feces isn't harmful, unless of course it is reinfesting itself with parasites. It is eating the feces of other animals that is a problem.

Kristina

Status
Not open for further replies.