Sulcata Tortoise need advise on several topics.

oberon

Location (City and/or State)
Philippines
Hello I'm new here in the forum.

We have 3 Sulcata Tortoises for several years. We build a pen and burrow for them after they grew.

1) I'm planning to add a small pond for them to soak themselves. I plan to build a shallow one one foot deep with rocks on bed with a small waterfall to keep the water circulating. Is a pond necessary for the tortoises?

2) On food, do Sulcata's eat hay? I can get hay (primarily for rabbits) from the pet shop. Is this good for them?

3) How does the female prepare to lay egg? ( I have seen them) Should they be in a separate enclosure?

Your comments will be appreciated.

Lito

Sulpic1.jpgSulpic2.jpgSulpic3.jpgSulpic4.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Lito, and welcome to the Forum!

Is there any reason you can't make their yard bigger? It seems a pretty small space for three large sulcatas.

1. You can make the pond with circulating water like you've planned, but in my opinion, it will make more work for you than necessary. They will make the water dirty very quickly. Just make the pond without the water fall, and plan on cleaning it out daily and adding fresh water.

2. Yes, they eat hay, but you need to buy FRESH grass hay, not that dried up, hard old stuff you get at the pet store. They won't eat that.

3, When the female is ready to lay eggs, she digs a deep hole with her back feet. If they have been getting along ok, the three of them in the same yard, then you don't need to separate them. If you see the others bothering he while she's trying to make a nest, then you can temporarily remove them until she's finished.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You also need opaque fencing around the enclosure.

oberon

Philippines
Hi Lito, and welcome to the Forum!

Is there any reason you can't make their yard bigger? It seems a pretty small space for three large sulcatas.

1. You can make the pond with circulating water like you've planned, but in my opinion, it will make more work for you than necessary. They will make the water dirty very quickly. Just make the pond without the water fall, and plan on cleaning it out daily and adding fresh water.

2. Yes, they eat hay, but you need to buy FRESH grass hay, not that dried up, hard old stuff you get at the pet store. They won't eat that.

3, When the female is ready to lay eggs, she digs a deep hole with her back feet. If they have been getting along ok, the three of them in the same yard, then you don't need to separate them. If you see the others bothering he while she's trying to make a nest, then you can temporarily remove them until she's finished.

Thank you for your reply.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi. Thank you for your reply.

Opaque fencing. I'm not familiar with this but do research on this. Again thanks!
Meaning a visual barrier. The tortoises should not be able to see out of their enclosure. You can line the bottom of that fencing with 16" strips of plywood, or something similar. Or rebuild something sturdier with boards.