Sulcata Tortoise question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yarok

5 Year Member
I currently have a zoomed deep dome lamp with a UVB mercury vapor bulb. But I have to turn it off at night. I want to buy the combo deep dome and use a CHE in one socket and a regular UVB bulb in the other socket. Can I leave the CHE on day and night and just turn off the uvb bulb at night? or does he need heat from a bulb that produces light as well?

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alabama
yarok said:
I currently have a zoomed deep dome lamp with a UVB mercury vapor bulb. But I have to turn it off at night. I want to buy the combo deep dome and use a CHE in one socket and a regular UVB bulb in the other socket. Can I leave the CHE on day and night and just turn off the uvb bulb at night? or does he need heat from a bulb that produces light as well?

Couple things...

First off, the only "regular UVB bulb" that fits in those dome fixtures is a compact florescent bulb (CFB); aka the spiral-shaped bulbs. It is reputed by many tortoises keepers that those bulbs can cause blindness in tortoises, so I (and I'm sure others will chime in to concur) suggest not using them.

Unless your house gets below 65'F at night, I would not worry about having two different light bulbs. What you have currently should be fine (as long as the daytime temps are correct, of course); just turning off the MVB at night.
--------
If you DO want a two-light combo, an alternative is use a CHE and instead of the CFB (which means you don't have to use a deep dome), simply use a traditional tube florescent bulb. This is how I have my redfoot set-up. Like you mentioned, the CHE is on 24/7 and the UV light only comes on for about 12 hrs during the day.

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
That will work, but suggest the nicer lamp fixtures that walmart and homedepot/lowes carrt. They are rated at 300 watts and I think they are much better quality, I have the ceramic ones from walmart, and I prefer it over my zoo med deep dome, which is about 2 years old and the connections are failing. But if u want the double dome, it will work.

MORTYtheTORTY

5 Year Member
Cali
SulcataSquirt said:
That will work, but suggest the nicer lamp fixtures that walmart and homedepot/lowes carrt. They are rated at 300 watts and I think they are much better quality, I have the ceramic ones from walmart, and I prefer it over my zoo med deep dome, which is about 2 years old and the connections are failing. But if u want the double dome, it will work.

can you post a pic of the lamp you're talking about? I have looked at homedepot, lowes, and walmart and haven't found a ceramic socket in any :( I settled for a dome but I need another for the CHE at night because as of now I switch out the bulbs and I hear you're not supposed to touch the MVB.

yarok

5 Year Member
Sure thing.
092.jpg

The only reg UVB bulbs that are safe to use are the long ones? I am trying to avoid having to buy another light fixture. The MVBs are also very pricey and I figured if all I had to replace was the UVB bulb than I could save some green. The fixture i mention is not the mini deep dome combo but the full size deep dome combo. Is the long fixture my only option?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm not a fan of the combo fixture. I like to have my MVB shining on one end of the habitat, and for night time, I like to have my CHE or night light shining on the other end. You can't split it like that with the combo fixture.

As far as $$ goes, you will always pay more when you buy in a specialty shop (pet store, etc.). You can find the individual fixtures with a large bell and a ceramic base at a home improvement store for way less money.

yarok

5 Year Member
Thanks. Buying fixtures at a home improvement store sounds like a great idea. I used to have the double mini dome combo and I found it to be very convenient for me. I dont like to have to remove the bulb at night so I can change it to a night bulb or che. The problem I had with the mini was that the bulb sticks out on the bottom and if it heats up the metal screen on the tank then the bulb cracks. I was planning to use the combo for a CHE and a Regular UVB bulb in the other socket but one of the members mentioned to me that the coil bulbs were not good for torts. I would like to avoid having to buy a long fixture for UVB bulbs and I was wondering if they make any UVB bulbs besides for MVBs that are safe?

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
can you post a pic of the lamp you're talking about? I have looked at homedepot, lowes, and walmart and haven't found a ceramic socket in any

Odd. At Home Depot or Lowe's, these lamps are like $12+- in the lighting section. If you can't find them, simply ask the nearest apron for a dome reflector light fixture aka shop lamp. They "should" be able to direct you to what you're looking for.

At Walmart, they're in the tools/hardware section (I forgot exactly which aisle). http://www.walmart.com/ip/Bayco-10.5-Brooder-Clamp-Light/14003468?findingMethod=rr

I would like to avoid having to buy a long fixture for UVB bulbs and I was wondering if they make any UVB bulbs besides for MVBs that are safe?

Unfortunately, none that I am aware of. MVBs and tube florescents are about it. The only alternative is natural sunlight.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Those double domes. Are no good for your suggested application. To get your temps right, you will need to adjust the height of your daylight bulb and your CHE. It is very unlikely that you will get the right temps out of both bulbs at exactly the same height. I like to run a MVB on a 12 hour timer and a CHE on a thermostat set to 80 24/7. I keep the MVB on one end and the CHE kind of over the middle.

MORTYtheTORTY

5 Year Member
Cali
StudentoftheReptile said:
can you post a pic of the lamp you're talking about? I have looked at homedepot, lowes, and walmart and haven't found a ceramic socket in any

Odd. At Home Depot or Lowe's, these lamps are like $12+- in the lighting section. If you can't find them, simply ask the nearest apron for a dome reflector light fixture aka shop lamp. They "should" be able to direct you to what you're looking for.

At Walmart, they're in the tools/hardware section (I forgot exactly which aisle). http://www.walmart.com/ip/Bayco-10.5-Brooder-Clamp-Light/14003468?findingMethod=rr

Thanks!!! I can't remember which it was, lowes or homedepot...I asked the guy about the ceramic sockets (I don't think I mentioned dome) and if they had thermometer/hygrometers there and he had no clue what I was talking about and we told him what we were planning on doing with it and he didn't have a clue LOL So I looked around in the lighting and all the sockets were plastic and not ceramic so we just went to a pet store. I need another dome so I will go back to both places and ask. Thanks so much!

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
MORTYtheTORTY said:
Thanks!!! I can't remember which it was, lowes or homedepot...I asked the guy about the ceramic sockets (I don't think I mentioned dome) and if they had thermometer/hygrometers there and he had no clue what I was talking about and we told him what we were planning on doing with it and he didn't have a clue LOL So I looked around in the lighting and all the sockets were plastic and not ceramic so we just went to a pet store. I need another dome so I will go back to both places and ask. Thanks so much!

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...langId=-1&keyword=brooder light&storeId=10051

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...langId=-1&keyword=brooder light&storeId=10051

If you put in your zip code, you can see if they have any in stock before you go.

In all of the Home Depots I've been in, I think the brooder lights are almost always in the electrical section, near the extension cords.

MORTYtheTORTY

5 Year Member
Cali
jaizei said:
MORTYtheTORTY said:

If you put in your zip code, you can see if they have any in stock before you go.

In all of the Home Depots I've been in, I think the brooder lights are almost always in the electrical section, near the extension cords.

Thanks a bunch!

Status
Not open for further replies.