Mvb bulb choice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessie

5 Year Member
Ok what bulb is better I cant decide.
The ZooMed Powersun Mercury Vapor Bulb or the Exo Terra Solar Glo - Mercury Vapor Bulb. Also has anybody tried the Exo Terra Solar Glo - Lamp fixture?

Jacob

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
I Have a Exo terra works great, only reason i have one i got it 20 bucks cheaper then a zoomed
Zoomed is of course a better name, and many members are happy with the powersun.

Jessie

5 Year Member
Jacob said:
I Have a Exo terra works great, only reason i have one i got it 20 bucks cheaper then a zoomed
Zoomed is of course a better name, and many members are happy with the powersun.

See that's why I was wondering because if I can save $20 then that's $20 more I have to spend on my little guy later. But you like it? Do you think it's the same thing just a different brand?

Also how do I know the fixture can handle the wattage when it only gives me the size in inches? The fixture comes in 5.5", 8.5", and 10".

LuvmyGreenSon

5 Year Member
Wow I wondered this exact thing when getting my MVB light today. I decided to go with the exo terra (mainly because no other store had the powersun). Well yeah it just so happened to be the broken one too. So I have to go back return it tomorrow and pray that the other store has one since I got the last one from another store :/ . Blah. Any who I don't think this had anything to do with the brand exo terra just my bad luck kicked in. As the previous poster said I have read many people being equally pleased with both exo and power. As long as it isn't coiled ...I tried coiled first then read all the scary things about it blinding torts so returned it... I swear pet stores hate me from all the returning I do.

Sorry to tell my life story btw...had to vent to people who would understand, since I imagine most newbies go through this... At least I hope I'm not the only one. :| ha ha.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
I always had to return my Exo-Terra solar-glos. Only one lasted about a year. Another lasted about 8 months, and the rest only a matter of weeks.

I switched to PowerSuns mainly because most everyone here suggested them over the Solar-Glos. Those with UV meters claimed that the PowerSuns maintained adequate UV output longer than the other brands. I figured Amazon.com sells them for about the same price you'd pay for a solar-glo in the pet store, and if it is in fact a better bulb, why not?

I have yet to have any issues with my PowerSun.

Jessie

5 Year Member
LuvmyGreenSon said:
Wow I wondered this exact thing when getting my MVB light today. I decided to go with the exo terra (mainly because no other store had the powersun). Well yeah it just so happened to be the broken one too. So I have to go back return it tomorrow and pray that the other store has one since I got the last one from another store :/ . Blah. Any who I don't think this had anything to do with the brand exo terra just my bad luck kicked in. As the previous poster said I have read many people being equally pleased with both exo and power. As long as it isn't coiled ...I tried coiled first then read all the scary things about it blinding torts so returned it... I swear pet stores hate me from all the returning I do.

Sorry to tell my life story btw...had to vent to people who would understand, since I imagine most newbies go through this... At least I hope I'm not the only one. :| ha ha.

Lol my local PETCO manager hates me, literally. I walk in and he follows me around like I'm gunna loose it and break everything. Then I spend about $100 and he is all nice telling me to have a great day. He knows I'm a returner and doesn't like that. I also gave him advice on what to teach his tortoise sellers and he was pissed that I knew more than him. :p

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
Jessie said:
LuvmyGreenSon said:

Lol my local PETCO manager hates me, literally. I walk in and he follows me around like I'm gunna loose it and break everything. Then I spend about $100 and he is all nice telling me to have a great day. He knows I'm a returner and doesn't like that. I also gave him advice on what to teach his tortoise sellers and he was pissed that I knew more than him. :p

WE ALL know more then the sales people! somtimes i tell yA! they will say you need this this that oh and that too when often times their reccomendations are detromental to your turts overall health :)

i think either or on the lights will be fine id go with the cheaper of the two but of o could get zoo med for the same price as the later id go that route

Status
Not open for further replies.