Sulcata Weight Loss

jamiepate311

Location (City and/or State)
mississippi
Hello i have a Sulcata that i rescued and he was 166 grams in a poor environment, i put him in a 4 foot x 8 foot outside enclosure thinking this might help get him some sun and good grass feedings but he has lost some weight that has me concerned. He has been outside for a month now and has lost 30 grams, i live in South Mississippi right on the Gulf Of Mexico, the temps right now are 90 during the day (which will get up to 100 by August) humidity outside is always around 80-100 percent. In his enclosure he has 2 petunia plants growing with plenty of flowers and leaves to munch on, two separate water bowls and a large hide area i have put under a large piece of ply wood, plus plenty of fresh grass. It has just started to rain because of the storm headed this way so i moved the tortoise inside. Any suggestions will help on the weight loss.

Attachments

• 20200606_103704.jpg
    20200606_103704.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 10

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
How long ago did you rescue this lil guy? And was it eating then? It possibly is not accustomed to eating tall monster grass, doesnt look like the food it used to eat, whatever that was.

Id move it to a rubbermaid type tote, good orchid mix substrate, get the ambient temperatures at 80...etc. and feed in a terracotta bowl. Cut up greens, weeds & some soaked Mazuri pellets. Make sure you are soaking. Probably best to not be totally outside yet..

Try to get all your variables dialed in per Toms care guide:

https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threa...se-a-sulcata-leopard-or-star-tortoise.181497/