Sulcata with sinus problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karlmalone

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I have a sulcata that I recieved from somebody who was tired of it. My parents have desert tortoises so he was kept with them for awhile. Looking back it wasnt a good decision. I have him now and he is is an only tortoise in the house. I took him to a vet and he said because the discharge was clear it wasnt a big deal. He didnt seem to know much about sulcatas, ive started keeping him warmer and hes got better. Hes very active and eats so im not extremely concerned but he does appear sometimes to have difficulty breathing. Thanks for the advice guys.

Coldliz

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Was the vet you took him to familiar with tort's? You may want to find another vet.
I know that others will request this information so I'm just going to ask now. What kind of setup is he in? What are his temps? Do you have a UV light? what is his diet? what kind of substrate are you using?

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
Karlmalone, First welcome to the TFO. Where are you located? When you say he appears to have difficulty breathing sometimes, can you explain in more detail what you mean?

Sulcata Lover

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hey Everyone,
Im new here :cool:...Just joined a couple of days ago. I agree with Coldliz, find another Vet. Ive found some Vets aren't to familiar with Sulcata's.
Google reptile Vets in your area.. Im lucky to live near UCD in California. They have one of the best Reptile units in the country. Bumping up the temp a bit was a good idea. Also check to see if anything is stuck in his nostril..These guys bump and drag their heads into everything..Something could have gotten lodged in his nose. Remember, Sulcata's hide their illness extremly well, so they may appear to be fine.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You can buy sterile saline solution at the drug store. Also buy a small squeeze bottle. Put some saline in the bottle and squirt it up into his nares...each side. Don't worry about getting it into his lungs, as the other end of the nares is in the mouth, not down the throat. This will help to clean out the nares, just in case there is something stuck in there.

Sometimes a sulcata (or leopard, or any desert-type tortoise) has a slight runny nose or runny eyes because the substrate is kept too dry. Could also be dust or an allergic reaction.

He could also be having an adverse reaction to have been kept with the desert tortoises. Tortoises from different continents have pathogens that other tortoises can't handle. Over the eons, one species of tortoise has become accustomed to his pathogens, but when you introduce them to a tortoise who's paths don't cross in the wild, it could have disastrous effects.

Just keep your eye on him. As long as he's eating that's a good sign. Do your homework and find a good reptile vet for when you might need one in the future.

Yvonne

Karlmalone

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
He has an indoor and outdoor inclosure. He spends most of his time outside when the sun is out, I have a heat light out there so its always above 90 or so. At night he goes inside where its in the high 70s for the night. He eats mostly grass with some alfalfa mixed in there. When he has trouble breathing you can hear him breating out his mouth of almost making like a gagging sound every once in awhile. I live in Santa Maria California if anybody knows if a good vet id appreciate it. When I originally took him to the vet he said he only had one nostril and that was the problem but once I heated him up the other one appeared it must have been covered in so much snot and such that it closed, I have noticed a significant improvement since then but he still has trouble breating.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I have a small Sully she is about 4 inches. When I got her I could only find one nostril and it was really small. She was making almost like wheezing or sneezing, gagging sounds every once in a while. She ate and moved around ok although she was shy. I took her to my Reptile vet and he diagnosed her with a RI. Said her nostril was not only crusted it was swollen shut from the RI. He placed her on Baytril injections and she is now healthy. After two weeks I could see both nostrils and they are much bigger than at first. I raised her heat also during the time of the injections. Sounds like your vet has no idea about Sullys.
Here is a link with lists of Reptile vets in CA http://www.tortoise.org/general/vetlist.html
As well as this link http://www.turtletimes.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4964

Tiffany

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Orlando Florida
Sulcata can be vocal, they sound like they are coughing up plhem. Wheezing is normally only done if there is a respitory infection. Find another vet....get the phone book out and call everyone you see. When I got my baby, he was making the noises, like you I just didn't feel right about the vet and now we go to one about an hour drive away because he knows sulcata, mine had an RI and got better, after the second vet prescribed antibiotics.

Against popular belief keeping them warmer is worse then leaving them, or even cooling them a bit. When they get warmer they get more active...hense they move more, eat more and the infection spreads more. Once they have been on antibiotics for a couple days warming them up to get them active is good, gets them eating.

Always take your vets advice, and TRUST YOUR INSTINCTS.

roamingbull

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
That link to the herb vets Crazy1 gave is a really good one. Made all the difference to us. Good luck.

Morty

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
It might be a little farther than you wanted to drive, but there is a vet in Goleta who actually has a sulcata too... its the valley animal hospital and the number is 805-964-7755. It might be worth it to make sure you get good care - any they might even know of someone in SM for you.

VanessaAlyse

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Can someone please,PLEASE tell meof a reptile vet in or close to Plantation, Fl?? I am desperate.

Status
Not open for further replies.