Hermann tortoise rns

lexxus

My baby tortoise has an upper respiratory infection, hes on antibiotics and drops. Hes also had a feeding tube fitted as he wasnt eating on his own and had difficulty breathing, so stayed at the vets for a week. He came home when he was a bit stronger and started showing signs of improvement (eating more active etc) so i thought the infection had cleared up but this week things seem to have declined hes only eating pellets, sneezing not very active. I dont understand has the rns returned ?????

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome. Whereabouts in the world do you live?

The recovery from rns can be long, slow and scary. I've been there with my tort :(

To help your tort we need to know more about where it lives. Photos of the enclosure and lights will save you a lot of typing.

We also need to know the 4 important temperatures: warm side, cool side, directly under the basking lamp and overnight minimum.

You must soak your tortoise for at least 30 minutes every day in warm water (not hot - think baby bath). Use a high sided bowl that your tort cannot see over or through

lexxus

Hes in a tortoise table with top soil. im just trying to figure out how to upload pictures

Attachments

• DSC_0148.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 9
  • DSC_0140.JPG
    8.4 MB · Views: 8

lexxus

The temp under his basking bulb is 36 and the cool side is 25. He also has a red light on at night

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I can see those pictures. The poor tort! So much tube :(

If you can get some more up of the whole enclosure and lights that's what we need.

lexxus

He's usually on soil, but it covered it up with newspaper whilst he's recovering.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
The temp under his basking bulb is 36 and the cool side is 25. He also has a red light on at night
I would bump the temperatures up a bit.

While he's sick don't let them drop below 80F/27C day or night.

To do this you need a ceramic heat Emitter (CHE) - see picture - running with a thermostat so it cuts in whenever needed.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1478526438.616794.jpg

Red bulbs are not recommended for tortoises. They need complete darkness at night. Also the bulb colours the substrate and decor red which leads them to decide its edible when it isn't (they're not very intelligent)

Your substrate looks very dry and contains white bits. Again those white bits are an invitation for your tort to eat the substrate which could lead to intestinal blockages. Use something like coco coir or fine grade orchid bark that will hold moisture and raise humidity.

jptv

Hi Lexxus, just turn on the heat lamp like 14hours a day. Let him sleep with no lights at night. Feed him once a day! He will be ok! Get well soon little one.

lexxus

The bulb itself isn't red it just glows red at night. This is the bulb. DSC_0185.JPG

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
In that case, I'd remove the red bulb and replace with a CHE. You'll need a Ceramic Lamp Holder and a thermostat and run that 24/7 - it will only cut in if needed.

I would also ask the vet about the feeding tube. You need to make sure that your tort is getting enough hydration and nutrition.

It took months for Joe to recover completely and he lost an awful lot of weight. It felt like one step forwards and two back at times. I never had to contend with a feeding tube though.

jptv

Personally, I prefer heat lamp than ceramic infrared. :) If you have access to natural sunlight, let the little one sun bathe. It will make him happy!

lexxus

That is a CHE :) You see what I mean about pictures!

Do you have it on a thermostat?

EDIT

A bit of cross-posting going on here that might confuse others!

He's on 1ml of critical care twice day with 0.5ml of water to flush the tube