sulcatas are dug in

Status
Not open for further replies.

tczar

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
el paso tx
I have two 2 year old sulcatas that have gone underground and i cant reach. they are healthy and about 10 inches long. i was planning on bringing them inside before it got too cold, but now they are burrowed in, i usually get them to come out by knocking on their food tray but it is not working now. the temp has been between 38-70. i question if i should dig them up or wait for a warm day for them to come up. live in el paso tx. thanks, tczar

Redfootedboxturtles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
RE: sulcatas dug in deep

dig him up and bring him inside. No tortoise should be left outside in the mid 30s

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you don't want to flood them out with the hose, you can take an extension cord and aim your hair dryer down into the hole. This has happened before to lots of first time sulcata keepers. There are many ways to get them out...dig them out, place a fan at the opening, hair dryer, water, to name a few.

Yvonne

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
When you get them out, and inside and warm, take a look at your outside pen. Do they have places to hide? Mine dont tend to dig if they have places to hide or go into. Dog houses work well.
Hope you get them out easliy and safely.

tczar

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
el paso tx
emysemys said:
If you don't want to flood them out with the hose, you can take an extension cord and aim your hair dryer down into the hole. This has happened before to lots of first time sulcata keepers. There are many ways to get them out...dig them out, place a fan at the opening, hair dryer, water, to name a few.

Yvonne

good news , got hem both one came up by himself and the other i dug up. he wasnt too deep and was nice and warm. i think these guys are tougher thah we give them credit. we have real dry sandy soil and the days here are sunny and warm. however i eill breing them in for the duration of winter at night. thanks tom

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi...they are pretty tough, but if they get too cold as well as damp, they get respiratory infections easily. When I worked at our vet hospital here in Mississippi, a man brought his pair of Sulcatas in cause
they were draining green junk from their noses. They had dug in and he thought it was OK til he went out one day and could hear them breathing. He brought them to us but it was too late. They were medicated and nebulized for weeks, but they had been too cold and wet for too long. They weighed 120 lb and 145 lb. We used a wheelie to move them around. It was so sad when they died. Please don't take chances like that. Below 60, bring them in or set them up with heat in a dogloo or shed or something.
Good luck
Patsy

aktech23

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Are they good at knowing where there heated house is at, or do i need to be checking on it every night?
it has a few hiding spots it likes to sleep in.

I live in arizona and this is my first winter with my sulcata. it's not a hatchling, i found it wandering and couldn't find it's owners.

since i introduced the heat it seems to be going there every night.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
They do pretty good about knowing where to go. but if they have a fave hiding place that ISNT heated.. block entrance to it and make sure they know where the heat is. And check them every night to make sure they made it there.. Its the ONE night you dont check... and check to make sure the heat source is working.. not unplugged or dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.