Sulcatas are STRONG

OliveW

Location (City and/or State)
Branford, FL
Today I covered my Sulcata's burrow with half sheet of 3/4" plywood. It was very heavy!

I had him out for a long adventure, then put him back in his enclosure to go do a few things. Maybe 20 minutes later I went out to get him to bring him in for the night and he was moving that heavy plywood to get to his burrow. I couldn't believe my eyes. I went out and took a video of him in action but can't post it here. He is just over 8 lbs, not even a big sully. Just a little guy. I could barely pick that wood up to put it there. He had to push it far because his burrow was centered under it, and he had some of his burrow exposed and was pushing and digging towards it.

After I videoed for a minute, I put the phone down and picked up the plywood to move it and he went down his burrow before I could catch him. In hindsight, I should have picked him up first. Now he will be spending his second night in a row outside in the 50's. 😢 He won't come out when he goes in for the night. Ever. Tomorrow night will be even colder so I'm bringing him in after his afternoon walk. I won't even let him back in his enclosure.

Night box in progress. It doesn't usually get cold here this early in the year. It's very unusual so we weren't prepared for it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You have to post your video on YouTube then post it from there to here.
It's colder at night here too earlier then normal but on a good note, our days have been warmer than normal.
And yes that wood is heavy. Just imagine when he is full size, yikes.

OliveW

Branford, FL
I took a still from my video since I don't have YouTube account. I know it's free, just never fooled with it.

My baby boy didn't rise and shine until almost 11:00 am, his usual time being 10 - 10:30. He is very predictable with his schedule. He goes into his burrow at 5:00 pm and doesn't emerge until his 17 hours later. Lazy butt. He is extremely active all day, though.

I apologized to him with an entire head of Romaine and he's chowing down, warming up in the sun. This afternoon, he will be coming in to his heated "room," that we have set up for him, right after his play/exercise/exploration time afternoon walk.

Sorry @Tom I know you don't approve of walks. It's the one thing I do that you don't advise. It does all take place on our own property though, and his current enclosure is only 12'x24' so he really needs that, as he's a very busy boy. He's also highly intelligent and, despite the large size of our property, he knows where his den/enclosure is and always heads back when he's done. I just follow him. I'll also add that it's kind of your advice because it allows most of his diet to be from grazing, not enough grazing within his enclosure. :)

strongbaby.JPG

Last edited:

SteveM

MS
I'll be glad when mine gets bigger, he's still a little guy.