Sulcatas humidity problem!

nfrost

i have recently bout a sulcatas tortoise from atc, he is eating and walking around fine I do question if he is drinking even when j give him a son everyday, but I can't seem to keep the humidity even close to 80% I dumped like a pitcher of water in there my Cyprus mulch looks damp the whole time my setup is half cypress mulch half sphagnum moss, and I wet it down multiple times a day plus add pitcher of water every so often! Anyway I can help keep the humidity up?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
Cover it. A closed chamber enclosure works best. All the humidity is lost to the room if it's not trapped in.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello and welcome. These three threads should lend a hand:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

The basic premise that Jodie broached above is: Rather than adding more and more water, simply stop your humidity from escaping. I like to use the leaky boat analogy. Rather than continually bailing out the water with a bucket, simply plug the hole in the bottom of the boat. The open top of your enclosure is analogous to the hole in the boat in this analogy. Plug the hole that you are losing all your humidity and warm air out of.

nfrost

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1450231170.692679.jpg the image shows the setup I am trying now the substrate is still wet, yes the food dish is kinda overkill I'm just using it for now his water bowl is under the food dish at the moment, but the best I can get is still 70% humidity this morning I had 77 but took the lid off to feed him I have the light on stands cause it got to hot now it's like 105 under it and 80-83 on the cold spot

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
You are going to have to move your light closer . Cut a hole in the screen . Cover the whole top . This means you may need a lower wattage lamps . What are you doing for night heat ? It needs to be around 80° . It's hard to make the right microclimate in a small fish tank . I hate to tell you but you need to think bigger . Right now every store is selling Christmas tree boxes . Get one with a top . Cut two holes in the top on each side . Put your mvb lamp on one side and a che on a thermostat on the other . The holes in the top will need to be lined with tin foil or aluminum foil . So the lights don't melt the top . Then add substrate and water it . Get a plastic shoe box cut a hole in it Just big enough for your tortoises to walk into . Add moss to the shoe box . This acts like a borrow / microclimate . Add a big water bowl . Get you a good temperature probe . Make sure you have it warm on one side the slowly cooler on the other . Temperature should never drop below minimal 78 ° . 80 ° is better . Then all your problems will be gone .