Sulcatas in AZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Can anyone honestly think that cage is ok for one of those let alone two?

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Some bad pyramiding going on. But we see these kinds of thing everyday, sadly.

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
Yea, I'm not sure what the deal is with so many of them in AZ. I have seen trucks on the side of the road selling "baby turtles" or something. A few years ago they were every where. I never stopped to see what they actually were selling and tbh I probably wouldn't have know the difference then anyway. I wonder if some of these are victims of that type of thing? That and I suppose it's pretty easy to end up with some sully hatchlings that you don't know are coming. Since our weather here is pretty mild it probably doesn't take much work to just let nature take its course and make a quick buck. :(

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
I just sent the owner an email encouraging them to pass along the tortoisforum.org link to the person who takes them. I did educate the current owner a little bit, but in cases where the animals are about to go to a new home, I think it's more important that we get the new owners interested in better care. It's kind of to late for the current owner unless they have other tortoises that they plan to keep...

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
I used to work at a pet store after HS and we regularly got baby Sulcatas. I was soo disappointed at who would come in and buy them. I told everyone of them how big they were capable of getting and that if they couldn't provide for it they probably shouldn't get it. My boss would get pissed because he didn't care what they did with it once it left the store as long as he got paid.

What i'm trying to say is that even though it's 90% the owners fault for not housing them properly, 10% can usually be blamed on the pet stores selling them. I've actually heard employees tell customers that as long as they don't put them in a big cage they won't get big. UGH

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
mainey34 said:
Can I knock on their door and smack them? They are right down the street from me

Ha ha, only if you get it on video. I'm totally kidding, that's not nice... Although it looks pretty funny when I picture it in my head.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Lol...I know. I really wouldn't. I'd probably get shot or something. But the thought crossed my mind obviously..

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
I just scooted on over to the Phoenix CL page out of curiosity, and I can't believe it. I've never seen so many baby sulcatas for sale in one place. I put "tortoise" in the pet section search bar, and it's endless. Are they really that popular in that area????

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Yes, they are. It is very easy to find a sulcata here. Its sad. I could buy a baby sulcata from and tom, **** or harry for $25.00 all day long. But I chose to buy mine from a reliable source. Its awful how they take care of them here. They have so many up for adoption.

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
shellysmom said:
I just scooted on over to the Phoenix CL page out of curiosity, and I can't believe it. I've never seen so many baby sulcatas for sale in one place. I put "tortoise" in the pet section search bar, and it's endless. Are they really that popular in that area????

Yea, I guess they are pretty popular. Especially since they are so easy to come by. Our weather is very agreeable with them also. However, from what I hear our rescues are filled with them. :(

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
LuckysGirl007 said:
shellysmom said:

Yea, I guess they are pretty popular. Especially since they are so easy to come by. Our weather is very agreeable with them also. However, from what I hear our rescues are filled with them. :(

Yeah, rescues here in Florida are overflowing with them, too. Even wildlife rehab places for native wildlife usually have some that people just dump off, or find wandering around somewhere... :( I really think if random people want to breed tortoises they should pick a smaller species that is easier for the average person to house.

Maybe we could save these guys through the new Tortoise Rescue Network if someone is willing to pick them up and foster them. TRN will help pay expenses until a forever home is found. If you are interested, let me know. I'm thinking, though, that it might be hard to find a permanent home for them in phoenix because there are so many cheap, cute baby sullies available that people would rather have??? Buy, they are small enough to be shipped relatively easily, so maybe it doesn't matter. If you haven't heard about the rescue network, you can read about it here:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-57046.html#axzz28fYTchWi

Status
Not open for further replies.