Sunshine trio pardalis pardalis

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Oi, these SA leopards are much harder to sex than the other type.

The first tortoise is for sure a male, the middle one looks more male, and the last one looks more female. I have a hard time believing the second one is female, but the last one could convince me easily.
Thanks for responding Neal. The older #2 gets the more male it looks. Once #1 turned obviously male it REALLY likes to show it now. #3 Was always a male in my mind simply because it had more of a hot dog shape the first few years but it has recently begun to "round up" a bit. I'm hoping after another inch or two of growth it will begin to really show whats what.

In your experience, at what shell length are p.pardalis leopards typically able to be sexed?? @Tom @Yvonne G @Neal @tortadise or any other south African leopard owners that would like to inform me on what size they were able to confidently sex their p.pardalis. THanks

Neal

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I didn't keep good enough records, but about 7" inches was the magic # for me.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I knew some of mine were male at 1.5-2 years, others took longer to show it. By three years I knew for all of them. Size wise, I think mine were around that 7" mark when I could tell too.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
I knew some of mine were male at 1.5-2 years, others took longer to show it. By three years I knew for all of them. Size wise, I think mine were around that 7" mark when I could tell too.
Awesome. Thanks for the input.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Well it's official . #2 is a male . I was slightly (but enough) flashed after his soak today. So my two largest are males and I have my fingers crossed that some of the others in my group prove to be females.
So if any TFO members need a male p.pardalis in a few years I may have a few to spare unfortunately lol . We shall see how things pan out. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1422822480.804080.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1422822497.311831.jpg

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Good thing you started with a large group.... hopefully at least 1..(better 2 or 3+) is female!
I ultimately would like a 3:7 group ...give or take. So it's ok that they are male but that just means I will have to wait longer on breeding. Hopefully a young adult female p.pardalis or two become available.... by some miracle :p

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Let's hope your numbers turn out better than Tom's did! ;)
He too thought/hoped he'd be female heavy...but it was the opposite! :tort: