Super ticked! Missing Tort..

Status
Not open for further replies.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Was the golf ball gone? If so, you should go to the golf course and let them know. Maybe they would ask around to their members or something. Maybe even tell them that he is a special needs tortoise and needs medication. Tell them if he is returned, there will be no questions asked. You might even want to report it to the police. Someone trespassed, if they came on your property to retrieve the golf ball.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Man that sucks! Never give up hope though, I have heard of people losing their tortoises and finding them months later.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Are there any little kids around that might have messed with them?

DrewsLife727

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
DesertGrandma said:
Are there any little kids around that might have messed with them?

If any kids do get into that golf course then a 24/7 security guard normally finds them quick and kicks them out. That is possible though. New update: I looked again and no sign. Still trying!

-Drew

mattgrizzlybear said:
Why would a golfer want a tort anyway?

Who knows?

Eweezyfosheezy said:
Man that sucks! Never give up hope though, I have heard of people losing their tortoises and finding them months later.

That would be great! your two torts miss him (I know Im adding human emotions to torts but I can still imagine =] )

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Oh that's rough. Must be hard to think about anything else right now. I would let the groundskeepers at the golf course know he is missing and to keep an eye out.

DrewsLife727

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
lynnedit said:
Oh that's rough. Must be hard to think about anything else right now. I would let the groundskeepers at the golf course know he is missing and to keep an eye out.

Thats a good idea thx! ya it is rough.. its cold out tonight too

-Drew

chase thorn

10 Year Member!
Colorado Springs, CO
My guess seemed reasonable then :( But that is the main thing I see with most torts... People steal them not caring about cost some just take them... May have been the only active one at the time.

conservation

10 Year Member!
What kind of fence are we talking about? Can people see your tortoises from the golf course? Can they easily look over or through your fence? In my book, an exclusive golf course cost $50,000-$100,000 down and a grand a month to play (Sherwood CC). The likelihood of wealthy golfers, playing an exclusive golf course committing a petty crime of opportunity is low. Possible but low. If your tortoises are visible from the course the likelihood of theft would increase. Does any of the golf course staff frequent the area of your back fence?

I think the golfer theory is very unlikely. It is an explanation that is created to solve a problem, it just is not the most logical solution. It is very similar to people reporting their children as being lost. Most lost children are found inside the house they are reported lost from.

Since you believe your other leopard tortoise burrowed into the Redfoot enclosure and if the two enclosures were built exactly alike, there is likely a similar "weak spot" in the Redfoot enclosure that would allow a tortoise to burrow out into your yard.

You need to make a containment area. If your yard is fenced, you have a natural containment inside your fenced yard. If I were you, I would conduct a systematic search of your yard. If your fence would allow a tortoise to pass through it, conduct a search of your yard and then pass out flyers to neighbors and golf course staff.

Just know as long the tortoise is in good health, he can likely survive year round outdoors in your area. So do not stop looking.

My first thought was dog or blue herring. Golf courses often attract Blue Herrings and other birds that may try and eat a tortoise.

A few years ago my buddy kept wondering why his Redfoots would be wondering outside of their enclosure, in his backyard. It turned out his dog was picking up the tortoises and dropping them in the outside of their pen. Pretty scary. Dogs and tortoises do not really mix.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
Can we get pics of the enclosure? Everyone's guessing without knowing exactly what your setup is/was.

This is why I'll be hesitant on keeping mine outside next summer. Too many things can happen.

DrewsLife727

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
Pets101 said:
What kind of fence are we talking about? Can people see your tortoises from the golf course? Can they easily look over or through your fence? In my book, an exclusive golf course cost $50,000-$100,000 down and a grand a month to play (Sherwood CC). The likelihood of wealthy golfers, playing an exclusive golf course committing a petty crime of opportunity is low. Possible but low. If your tortoises are visible from the course the likelihood of theft would increase. Does any of the golf course staff frequent the area of your back fence?

I think the golfer theory is very unlikely. It is an explanation that is created to solve a problem, it just is not the most logical solution. It is very similar to people reporting their children as being lost. Most lost children are found inside the house they are reported lost from.

Since you believe your other leopard tortoise burrowed into the Redfoot enclosure and if the two enclosures were built exactly alike, there is likely a similar "weak spot" in the Redfoot enclosure that would allow a tortoise to burrow out into your yard.

You need to make a containment area. If your yard is fenced, you have a natural containment inside your fenced yard. If I were you, I would conduct a systematic search of your yard. If your fence would allow a tortoise to pass through it, conduct a search of your yard and then pass out flyers to neighbors and golf course staff.

Just know as long the tortoise is in good health, he can likely survive year round outdoors in your area. So do not stop looking.

My first thought was dog or blue herring. Golf courses often attract Blue Herrings and other birds that may try and eat a tortoise.

A few years ago my buddy kept wondering why his Redfoots would be wondering outside of their enclosure, in his backyard. It turned out his dog was picking up the tortoises and dropping them in the outside of their pen. Pretty scary. Dogs and tortoises do not really mix.

Ok ya the rich golfer idea was a stretch but I guess I thought it was logical at the time. It is possible though for someone to reach in and get it though if they really trired. The board next to the fence was only a but more than a foot high. I won't be making that same mistake in my next enclosure. I do think it might of escape even though it seems impossible cuz I checked every part of my enclosure and unearthed it. It could of went into the golf course somehow which has so many places to hide or if if went to my backyard then there are many places to hide as well. I'm not home right Joe but ill send a pic soon. If you look at my past posts on the enclosure section there are some pics on my enclosure. Thx for all the input!

-Drew

DrewsLife727

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
New update. Looked all day with no luck. I asked around and they will be keeping an eye out. San Diego Turtle and Tortoise society is also helping by letting the public know.

-Drew

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Dont give up hope bro! I also wouldnt throw out the idea that someone could have stole him, be it a neighbor or one of the golfers. My brother is a huge golfer and plays at all the top golf courses and he has told me plenty of stories of even "rich" people stealing stuff in peoples backyards, almost as if they think they have the right to do it. Not saying thats what happened but its definitely a possibility in my book.

DrewsLife727

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
Eweezyfosheezy said:
Dont give up hope bro! I also wouldnt throw out the idea that someone could have stole him, be it a neighbor or one of the golfers. My brother is a huge golfer and plays at all the top golf courses and he has told me plenty of stories of even "rich" people stealing stuff in peoples backyards, almost as if they think they have the right to do it. Not saying thats what happened but its definitely a possibility in my book.

honestly I wouldnt be surprised. When I was younger I used to do volunteer work at the country club and there were some shady characters...

-Drew

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hopefully one of the folders didn't take him, as this way he could possibly still be found around you. However, don't count out the rich, they are the ones that don't pay their bills to the smaller businesses.

Status
Not open for further replies.