Supplies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xilonen

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bellingham, WA
Can anyone contribute a list of yearling sulcata essential supplies? I've got the habitat basics, but I'm looking for maybe those overlooked items that those of you with years of experience would now never go without.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
A first aid kit containing gauze, tape, Silvadene, styptic powder, scissors, q-tips, betadine, chlorhexidine, anti-biotic ointment, razor blade, tweezers...

Xilonen

5 Year Member
Bellingham, WA
Good idea. Most of that I have around the house, or easily available. I work in an ER, so I've got stashes of medical supplies everywhere.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
An accurate thermometer like a temp gun is my number one answer to questions like this (I think its the best $25 I've ever spent on my tort). Terramycin ointment (good for just about anything going on with tort eyes) and bird vitamin drops are two things I keep on hand besides the basics (I don't see the need for much first aid stuff because I have one indoor tort, and for any real emergency I'd go to our vet). Some Mazuri and/or Grassland tortoise diet in case you can't get out to buy food. Hand warmers or some other emergency type of tort heating if the power goes out. I always keep extra bulbs and fixtures and whatever on hand, but others would just put in a house light bulb until they get a replacement, or run out that night. A gram scale and digital calipers to track growth. Savings account for emergency vet bills. Portable enclosure to put torts in, kept near the torts, in case you have to evacuate them (with something to keep them warm without electricity kept near it). Care instructions and inclusion of pets in your will. Thats all off the top of my head... Good question!

Status
Not open for further replies.