Thread for recommended online tortoise supplies?

Legmaker72

Location (City and/or State)
South West Florida
Just wondering if there is a thread that has a compiled a list of reputable and recommended online sites/resources to buy supplies (anything from heat lamps, to food,substrate etc...)?
Recommended places that have better/safe products, affordable...
If there is a thread, can someone post the link here.
If not, it would be a nice sticky thread to avoid combing through tons of posts to find recommendations.
Not that I mind reading through all the posts ;-) I'm having a fantastic time absorbing as much information as I can here.
I don't really want to buy my supplies from our local pet store, so I need to know where the majority of experienced Tort owners go for their supplies online.
I'm in the process of building an indoor enclosure for my newly adopted Marginated and I'm going to need pretty much everything (supplies, lights, substrate, food/supplements, etc...). While I'm building, I'd like to order what I need during my build.
Thank you all in advance. Looking forward to being an active member here.

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There can't be any such list because the variety of stuff needed is so variable depending on species, age/size, climate, type of enclosure, etc…

Most of the stuff you'll need will come from the hardware store. Some from Walmart or Target type stores and just a few things like specialized light bulbs will come from the pet store or an online pet site.

Check these out:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

This one was typed up for russians, but care for a marginated is very similar:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Welcome to the forum. As I'm sure you've already heard make the enclosure as big as you can right from the start. It will save you time and money trying to update later, I know this from experience :)
The only thing I get from my local pet store is the mercury vapor bulb and the eco-earth bricks. I have also gotten A thermostat and some long fixtures and bulbs from LLL reptile. I really like their website. And had great customer service. Check out the marketplace section of the forum for product and vendor reviews. I have also heard good things about light your reptiles.com but I have not used them.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Some people use Amazon or other online reptile supplies. I suppose the important thing is to make sure you know the correct equipment to buy (e.g no coiled or long thin loop type bulbs etc) and then find the best stockist for it all. As Tom said a lot of things can be bought in hardware/diy places and much more cheaply. Which country are you in?

Legmaker72

South West Florida
Some people use Amazon or other online reptile supplies. I suppose the important thing is to make sure you know the correct equipment to buy (e.g no coiled or long thin loop type bulbs etc) and then find the best stockist for it all. As Tom said a lot of things can be bought in hardware/diy places and much more cheaply. Which country are you in?

I'm in the US in south west Florida
I have a working list right now of recommended substrate, and specifics on lights ( no specific brands or models yet)..
Working on building the enclosure with my father ( who is a carpenter, so that's a big plus)...

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I admit I don't know anything about your climate and not much about that type of tortoise :) but it sounds like you might be able to keep it outdoors for a good chunk of the year. If so you may not need to worry as much about UVB bulb.

Legmaker72

South West Florida
I admit I don't know anything about your climate and not much about that type of tortoise :) but it sounds like you might be able to keep it outdoors for a good chunk of the year. If so you may not need to worry as much about UVB bulb.
Sadly we won't be able to keep her outdoors. We are renting in a very restrictive community...
Hot and humid down here ;-)

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Sadly we won't be able to keep her outdoors. We are renting in a very restrictive community...
Hot and humid down here ;-)
That's too bad. Will you be able to let her outside supervised? Natural sunlight is the best, even if it's a temporary enclosure like a plastic kiddie pool or something. You can keep the hot and humid :) especially the humid!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
If indoors most of the time a mercury vapour bulb (mvb) will provide heat light and uvb in one bulb so very easy to use, I use an Arcadia mini D3 ad I think Powersun is a popular brand but check that with others. At night I use a ceramic heat emitter (CHE) run through a thermostat to keep temps even but I have a leopard in the UK so both those pieces of equipment are essential for him. I don't know what temps Marginated torts need so you may not need night heat and as leigti says if there is a chance your tort can have supervised time out in the sun regularly for uvb you may not need that either.
There are some great ideas in the Enclosures thread that you and your dad may find useful, and of course the bigger the better!! I wish I had a carpenter in the family.

Legmaker72

South West Florida
That's too bad. Will you be able to let her outside supervised? Natural sunlight is the best, even if it's a temporary enclosure like a plastic kiddie pool or something. You can keep the hot and humid :) especially the humid!
Yes, definitely. And I plan to. :)

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
I buy most of my reptile supplies from PetMountain.com. They have good prices and free shipping if you order $75.00 worth of merchandise. Sometimes they have free shippingat $49.99. Also I believe new customers get 10% off on their first order.

I also buy some supplies from Amazon.com. Amazon.com has the best price on the ZooMed Large light stand.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
The only things I buy from pet stores is lamps and rats for my snake . Other than that everything is made by me or home depot . Just because I don't like Lowes .

Legmaker72

South West Florida
If indoors most of the time a mercury vapour bulb (mvb) will provide heat light and uvb in one bulb so very easy to use, I use an Arcadia mini D3 ad I think Powersun is a popular brand but check that with others. At night I use a ceramic heat emitter (CHE) run through a thermostat to keep temps even but I have a leopard in the UK so both those pieces of equipment are essential for him. I don't know what temps Marginated torts need so you may not need night heat and as leigti says if there is a chance your tort can have supervised time out in the sun regularly for uvb you may not need that either.
There are some great ideas in the Enclosures thread that you and your dad may find useful, and of course the bigger the better!! I wish I had a carpenter in the family.
Thanks for the info on the lights. Night time temp in the house is usually 76 which is fine for them from what I've read.
I've downloaded a ton of pictures of enclosures, and we have a design in mind.
Yes, very spoiled when it comes to projects like these with my Pop. It will come out great I'm sure when it's done.

Legmaker72

South West Florida
I buy most of my reptile supplies from PetMountain.com. They have good prices and free shipping if you order $75.00 worth of merchandise. Sometimes they have free shippingat $49.99. Also I believe new customers get 10% off on their first order.

I also buy some supplies from Amazon.com. Amazon.com has the best price on the ZooMed Large light stand.
Thanks. I will look at them as I get my supplies.