Location (City and/or State)
Anaheim, CA 92806
Nothing like an afternoon soak.
eiqwya.jpg

We like that the tub is big enough to share
1zl6m8g.jpg

Overhead shot
w22bn6.jpg

There is quite a size difference between the two. They are clutch mates. In mid Nov they were both less then 50 grams. As of 3/28 they were 166 and 83. They are housed together and share the same diet. I know that they can grow at different rates but is this normal? They measure 4.75 and 3.0 inches.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
For clutch mates there is a size difference, they look like they are enjoying the afternoon soak.

M

Maggie Cummings

If they were mine I would be thinking that the smaller one is being bullied. I know you're gonna say you never see the bigger one bullying the smaller one, but there is mental bullying that happens also. And normally when there is such a big difference in size you can count on bullying happening. I personally would separate them...

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Lisa, when I first got Tucker and Squirt, Penny was the biggest. Now Tucker and Squirt have totally passed her up and she is the smallest. Only Tucker and Squirt are hatchmates.

They are super cute, what did you name them?

Lisa Anne

5 Year Member
Anaheim, CA 92806
I just read something on the forum about bullying. It had never occurred to me before I read the other posts that it could be taking place. I was beginning to suspect however. I am planning a bookcase enclourse where I can better separate them. I guess I wanted a second opinion. Could sex be a factor at this age in the size difference?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Not at this size. After they get to be older the males will grow larger, but females sometimes grow pretty large too. Its really not something you can go by.

Feed them on opposite ends of the habitat, and have some sort of sight barrier in the middle so they can't see each other.

Lisa Anne

5 Year Member
Anaheim, CA 92806
When I first got them we decided to call them Click and Clack. Now that I am getting to know their personalities and heard all the loving names people on the forum have for their torts I am going to rename them. I just don't know what yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.