Leopard runt hatchling?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
I have hatched 20 babies from my young female. This was her first year. All of them hatched 17 to 19 grams. They were all started the same, ensuring hot temps and very humid. All have gained weight and grown as expected, except 1. Narnia hatched 11/28/16 at 18 grams. Growth is crazy slow.
12/28 24 grams
1/24/17 29 grams
2/26 34 grams
4/22 41 grams
More often than not when I check on them Narnia is eating. Plastron is hard. Daily soaks, and deficates regular.
Even hatching this small, every other baby has passed the 50 gram mark by 3 months old.
No visible deformities in his mouth or beak.
Is he just a runt? Anyone have this in a hatchlings you know was started right?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Have you thought about housing by itself just to see if s/he starts to put on more weight/size? Maybe it's eating, but not being allowed to eat as much as the others or if it is being bullied at all, just that fact might be stunting its growth rate in ways we don't know?
Then again, it could be something wrong with it that can't be seen or it could just be a runt.
Experimenting with separate housing or even separate feeding station away from the rest might help with an answer?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Have you thought about housing by itself just to see if s/he starts to put on more weight/size? Maybe it's eating, but not being allowed to eat as much as the others or if it is being bullied at all, just that fact might be stunting its growth rate in ways we don't know?
Then again, it could be something wrong with it that can't be seen or it could just be a runt.
Experimenting with separate housing or even separate feeding station away from the rest might help with an answer?
Unfortunately I have 21 babies still. 2 enclosures, so can't give 1 baby 1. He is the first one to the food area when I feed in the morning, so I really doubt this is a submissive issue. Obviously I won't be selling him, so maybe can put alone soon. I did putt him in a small enclosure for a few days when I first noticed this to monitor the amount in and out. It was normal.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
I've got one that is 18 months old and all of its siblings, both that live with new keepers, and the ones I kept are all nice and big, growing strong, but this one is still very small. This one however does have uneven nares, and it's face is a little short on one side. He eats great, poops and pees regularly, but jus will not grow. He's active and alert. I really have no idea what on earth is keeping him so small. I named him Wonky due to his slightly even facial features. I raised them hot and humid so there isn't any way he dehydrated early on. He's a real mystery.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
I've actually separated Wonky to try and see if I can boost his growth with extra heat and more food than he can eat. So far it hasn't helped.

Nisi

New York
Juggalo is a year old and is at 73g his growth was really slow too and still is.

fangurley

Houston,TX
Juggalo is a year old and is at 73g his growth was really slow too and still is.
I know this is a pretty old post but I wanted to know how Juggalo ended up. I have a runt about to turn two and they are about 220g. I've taken him to the reptile vet in town who has had leopards and has worked for the zoo in the past and said that his shell and poop look nice and healthy. The vet said my tort is just a slow grower but I wanted to hear from someone else that was in a similar situation.