Babcocki leopard growth progress...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Tortus said:
Thanks! I forgot to take a plasteron pic. I'll do that tomorrow. I still think it's going to be a female. The breeder incubated it in his back yard on a hot summer in Arizona, and the shell is fairly round and high domed so far. I'm also noticing lots of speckles, so it's probably cross bred with one of his South Africans. Maybe that's why it's growing so fast.

I would suspect the same thing. It is over twice the size of all of mine at that age and I thought mine were big. It is sure a beauty and looking very smooth!!

ulkal

5 Year Member
What a beautiful tort, good job.

My tortoises are the same age but only 3". I have the same care procedure-
what is your enclosure setup?

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
ulkal said:
What a beautiful tort, good job.

My tortoises are the same age but only 3". I have the same care procedure-
what is your enclosure setup?

I've had it in a sterilite underbed container since it was 3 or so weeks old. The biggest one at Walmart with the wheels, but I broke the wheels off since I use a heat pad to create humidity. The Fluker's heat mat, one of the few that can be used with plastic. And it works VERY well with my setup. With eco earth as a substrate. Half of it is covered always, where it sleeps, and then I have a humidifier on the covered half during the day blowing on the open half. At night, I cover the entire thing so it's like a giant humid hide. It sleeps early, so it gets at least 15 hours per day of 90%+ humidity.

I hope this makes sense. But it has been a learning process. I wish I started this process earlier so it would be "egg smooth". But It seems smooth enough I suppose. Very healthy.

Oh and thanks for the compliments. I think mother nature helped my guy out more than I did. But I'm glad to see her growing well. :)

ulkal

5 Year Member
Your tortoise looks really smooth to me :), its certainly not only Mother nature but good care- I know what you mean though, I got mine when they were around 5months, and they had already started pyramiding.
My setup is similar, except for heating mat and humdifier. I had a used Reptifogger which broke down after 2 weeks :(
which one do you use? Maybe I should give it another try. At the moment I'm spraying 3+ times a day.
Sorry for the many questions and thanks.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
Thank you so much for the nice compliments! The highlight of my day is soaking her. She loves the soak now. Relaxes completely, drinks, walks around calmly. Doesn't "shell up" much anymore. It really is a joy to have a leopard. :)

ulkal

5 Year Member
Thanks for your help. I guess I buy one with the next paycheck-maybe the elephant one to simulate
a natural habitat :D

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Wow, that's going to be one big girl/boy when they're done growing!!

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
Pokey don't scare me like that. lol

But, this is one reason why I went with a leopard. Even though it will be a challenge during the winter, I wanted a big tort. Something my dog can't eat.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
8 months old:

xE9NBoM.jpg

HCV7PTb.jpg

tNy4yhO.jpg

XsScVoy.jpg

Month 1: 2", 40 grams

Month 2: 2 1/4", 64 grams

Month 3: 2 1/2", 88 grams

Month 4: 2 3/4", 133 grams

Month 5: 3 1/2", 173 grams

Month 6: 4", 226 grams

Month 7: 4 3/8", 266 grams

Month 8: 4 9/16", 315 grams

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
Thanks. I wasn't sure if she'd hit the 300 gram mark, so being over was a little surprising. I think I may post months 9-12 all at once like I did in the beginning of this thread.

I did yard work today and picked some dandelion. Amazing how fast those things wilt when uprooted...within minutes.

dcwolfe

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
I love the coloring of your leopard. I have a brother sister of yours so im hoping to get the same colors as yours.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
Oh yeah, dcwolfe, you got yours from woody's too. I have to say this is one hardy beast. She's even gotten cold a few times and showed no sign of sickness. Just eats and grows and grows...lol

Do you have any recent pics of yours? With stats?

BTW, although you can't really see it in these pics, her new growth rings are coming in white. The next few months should be interesting...

ulkal

5 Year Member
This is really impressive. Mine are older and smaller.
Good job, she is gorgeous :D:tort:

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
I'm still wondering if the rapid growth is due to the amount of time she sleeps. It's a lot. As soon as I see her bed down, I cover the enclosure and turn the lights off, because I know she won't be getting back up before morning. Never does. It's usually 15 hours of sleep per day. She has her log hide that she uses regularly. But when she goes down to the covered end and nestles in the moss, I know she's done for the day. You get to know their routines after a while.

I'll be posting the next 4 months of updates at once. I think it takes 6 months for a thread to close if I'm not mistaken.

ulkal

5 Year Member
My husbandry is similar to yours. I just wondered if its slowed growth in the winter.
But then I saw yours had a spurt from Jan/Feb, lol.
I am curious about the development.

Status
Not open for further replies.