Taking tortoise to vet in 50 degree weather - No car

HJ1983

Location (City and/or State)
New York City
I live in NYC and the exotic vet is 5 blocks from my house. Which is less than 10 minutes by walking. I don't own a car (normal for us city folk) and taking a cab doesn't seem economical. So my question is... What is the best way for me to take my tortoise to the vet in 50 degree weather? My thought was placing him in a plastic shoe box with (holes drilled in) that contains a towel and a warm water pack. Placing that in a reusable vinyl/plastic tote bag wrapped in a blanket. Would that be acceptable? Or will he get cold? He's not sick or anything. Just a routine vet visit for a new pet.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I would have got some hand warmer packs that we use to mail torts . But any thing resembleing a hot water bottle might be too warm or hot and will need to be refilled for trip home

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I also do not drive. I have taken my tortoise to the vet in very cold weather in a small 4 gallon Rubbermaid tote bin with the lid on loosely while I was on the bus and then more tightly while I was walking but it was not an airtight fit. I used handwarmers wrapped in a towel and put about 3 inches of substrate from his enclosure over the top of it. The vet was impressed with the set up. My tortoise did not get cold the entire time.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree, I think a water type heat will get too cold too fast and won't last for the trip home. I would pick up some of the hand warmers they have out. Wrap them in a towel and place on the bottom of the box. I would use a cardboard box, as plastic would get colder then cardboard. Then place something the approx. weight of your tort on top of the hand warmers and the thermometer between the two and measure how warm it gets, to make sure it doesn't get too hot. If the temp is okay, then your good to go. If it's too hot, put another towel in between. If too cold, use another hand warmer. Close the lid with just a couple air holes on the sides and wrap the whole box with another towel or blanket, leaving just the air holes uncovered.

HJ1983

New York City
I wouldn't have thought of hand warmers. I will pick that up they probably have them at the pharmacy. What I have is the old fashioned water bag and it might just be too warm.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
San Jose CA
Yep. Hand warmer.

Those hand warmer can stay warm for 10 to 12 hours.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
There is plenty of air in a small tub for a tortoise to go a few blocks. Seal him up so the heat stays in for the entire trip and just "burp" the lid once or twice. Wrapped enough, the heat should not escape that quickly. If you use a hand warmer PLEASE make sure that the thing does not come in direct contact with the tortoise! Those things get hot and have been known to cause second and even third degree burns. Too hot is just as bad as too cold.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If he's a small tortoise, just wrap him up in something so he can't move (or even a tube sock), and hold him inside your clothes next to your body.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
If the tortoise is not sick, and the visit is a routine check up, why not wait until warmer weather?

parrotlady

5 Year Member
You might want to consider one of the small ice chest that has a handle on it. I have used that to transport various small animals to the vet in cold weather. With a small heat pack it would work perfect.

HJ1983

New York City
Dizisdalife said:
If the tortoise is not sick, and the visit is a routine check up, why not wait until warmer weather?

This is a good point. My concern is that I don't know where he came from and I want to make sure he's healthy. Also we have other animals and I don't know if any possible parasites or worms can be crossed with my rabbits. We are being very careful about limited handling and hand washing but I'd rather be safe than have to spend a crazy amount of money on vet visits and medication for all three animals. The cost just for a visit is $115 (only two vets in the city who treat tortoises and this is the better one). So with cultures and meds etc it will be at least $200 an animal. And my rabbits just had a visit and they're perfectly healthy.

HJ1983

New York City
The trip to the vet was warranted. He had a high concentration of pinworms. He got a dose of meds today and he goes back in 2 weeks for second dose. Doctor said parasites are common and usually not a problem but his level was unusually high in all the slides. I called Petsmart and told them. They offered me a refund if I returned Killer. I said "No Way"!!! I'm sure they're not going to do anything about the female he shared that cage with. Feel bad.

It's better to know. I think. On a side note Killer is otherwise very healthy. :).

Also used the hand warmers. Thank you for the help. :)

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Glad that you got the tort to the Vet. Pinworms are nasty parasites.