Suggestion for first Vet visit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Galaxy far, far away...
I took my somewhat newly adopted Leopard Tortoise to the vet today for a well visit. I wanted to get an overall checkup as well as build a baseline ith a local vet. I did not want to run into a problem in the future, and then suddenly need to scramble to find someone local.

I strongly suggest any new tortoise owner do the same.

I also suggest arriving at the vet with some prepared documents. I took a few pictures of my torts enclose and included measurements. I also included a list of temperature readings from around the enclosure as well as humidity levels. I made a log of her diet for the last two weeks as well as a log of soaks, bowel movements and vitamin supplements. I brought a fecal sample as well.

I also wrote out a list of questions that I had for the vet. (For me this was important. I was nervous about taking my girl out in 14 degree weather and I knew I would forget something!)

This all worked out very well. For the most part, initial vet visits are often spent answering lots of basic questions. By arriving with the documents I mentioned above, we were able to skip most of the "detail" work. This allowed us to have a good 25 minutes to examine my tortoise and get to know the vet. (She raises Red Foots!). We discussed husbandry and had a great conversation.

Overall, I left feeling VERY comfortable. I am glad that I went. A little prep with the paperwork went a long way. My notes are now in Princess Leia's chart, and I am confident that I now have a local source of veterinary help should the need ever arise.

I can't recommend this highly enough to any and all new tortoise owners.

Rob

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
What part of CT are you ? what vet did you use ? I need to find a new one

Robert

5 Year Member
Galaxy far, far away...
Corey: I'm up in the Northwest Corner. The vet is about 75 miles from your part of MA. Let me know and I can get you their info if you want it.

Mao Senpai

5 Year Member
North Carolina
Hm, I wasn't aware we had vets here that knew anything about tortoises. Whats the name of the place and address?

exoticsdr

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Southeast Texas
Well, if you ever get sick of cold weather and decide to move to Southeast Texas, I would LOVE to have you as a client!!

Pet owners, especially exotic pet owners, can learn a lesson from your example. Thank you for your posting.

Doc

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
Prior to scheduling your appointment, did you have knowledge of this Vets background?

Robert

5 Year Member
Galaxy far, far away...
My wife was referred to this vet by a friend. We then checked their website and called them to ask about their experience with exotics. We went in expecting a basic visit and we left feeling very confident that we had found a good local resource should the need arise.

Status
Not open for further replies.