Tank and Turbo- both Greek?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TanknTurbo

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Austin, TX
Here are some better and more recent pics of Tank and Turbo- my 2 little Greek boys (right?) which were supposed to have been Hermann's! Danny thanks again for your ID.

I was able to get some plastron pics of them today. Do you think Turbo (the smaller darker one) is also a male Testudo gracea ibera? Tank (the big boy) has a very pronounced concave platron, and I *think* Turbo is also slightly concave but he still too little for me to really tell.

We feel terrible that Turbo might be so little due to the bullying. We'll be separating them as soon as possible, and have already set up some more sight barriers in their enclosure.

Emma

Attachments

• Tortoises11.29 (2).JPG
    Tortoises11.29 (2).JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 76
  • Tortoises11.29 (3).JPG
    Tortoises11.29 (3).JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 53
  • Tortoises11.29 (5).JPG
    Tortoises11.29 (5).JPG
    33 KB · Views: 49
  • Tortoises11.29 (6).JPG
    Tortoises11.29 (6).JPG
    24.7 KB · Views: 48
  • Tortoises11.29.JPG
    Tortoises11.29.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 56

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Hi Emma,
Yes they are both Greeks :) Tank is a Turkish greek, Testudo graeca ibera, but Turbo looks to be an Antakyan greek, T.g.antakyensis. I would need to see a good (down from the top) carapace shot of Turbo to be sure.
Yes they are both males :D Turbo is smaller because of his subspecies. It is though still good to seperate 2 males, especially with Tank being so much bigger. Tank has been bullying Turbo lately because he has reached adult size (Tank that is).

Your welcome,
Danny

TanknTurbo

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Austin, TX
Here are some pics from 2006 of Tank and Turbo, showing a good pic of Turbo's irregular "fifth" scute. Are you still leaning toward Antakyan Greek Tortoise?

Attachments

• TanknTurbo08-06.irregular scute.jpg
    TanknTurbo08-06.irregular scute.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 42
  • TanknTurbo12-06.irregular scute2.JPG
    TanknTurbo12-06.irregular scute2.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 27
  • TanknTurbo12-06.irregular scute.JPG
    TanknTurbo12-06.irregular scute.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 27

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I'm still leaning that way, but a newer picture would be better :D They don't seem to get the larger 5th (or last) vertebral scute until they are older. None of my hatchling Antakyans have had the 5th (or last) vertebral scute the widest of the 5. All the adults have, so it seems that it's something they get as they mature.

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.