Tank changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

phantoms

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wilmington DE
So after asking questions on here and getting very helpful tips....I made some changes to my little guys tank. Here are a few before and after pics. Let me know what you guys think!!!

SAM_1363.JPG - Before

SAM_1369.JPG - After

SAM_1368.JPG - After

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Aw...he looks like he's enjoyin' that green forest!

I see the condensation on the inside of the hide, so your humid hide is working.

Just one more thing, though...the small holes in the screen material effectively filter out most of the UV rays. So if that's a UVB light, he's not getting the full benefit of it.

MatrixDJ

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Nomnomnom, Looks better! I noticed what Yvonne said and I agree with her as well.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
That really looks good. I would also recommend taking out the screen. Also, if it were me, I would turn your florescent tube light 90 degrees so it shines longways...but that's just personal preference.

phantoms

5 Year Member
Wilmington DE
Again more great advice!!!!! Taking out the screen top really isn't an option right now. Covering it would be the best idea. What would be the best way to cover it? I'm going to guess that I should only cover half of it? I am looking at picking up a new glass tank that is 40 Gallon- 36"L x 18"W x 16"H. I was also thinking I could grab another stand and dome for UVB bulb so I can ditch the screen. Or just buy one of the new ZooMed PowerSun UV bulbs and only have one light fixture for the day and one for the night.

MatrixDJ

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I really like my ZooMed 160w MVB. It is nice and hot and with the deep dome it doesn't shine out and blind us sitting near the cage. With the stand it is a great combo. You could easily build a stand too

phantoms

5 Year Member
Wilmington DE
MatrixDJ said:
I really like my ZooMed 160w MVB. It is nice and hot and with the deep dome it doesn't shine out and blind us sitting near the cage. With the stand it is a great combo. You could easily build a stand too

I am really thinking about this now. Makes pretty good sense to me. Plus I'm really thinking I may just go get that 40 Gallon tank for him.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
You have made some nice changes and the grass looks like a big hit...

phantoms

5 Year Member
Wilmington DE
dalano73 said:

Man he killed the grass. I have a large cat litter box filled with grass and he rips right through it every time I put him in there to eat and get some sun. I really am thinking about going to get him a bigger tank and hook it up for him.

AIRR04

5 Year Member
Illinois
phantoms said:
dalano73 said:

Man he killed the grass. I have a large cat litter box filled with grass and he rips right through it every time I put him in there to eat and get some sun. I really am thinking about going to get him a bigger tank and hook it up for him.

i saw that you were talking about a 40g breeder. that is what i just picked up its awesome. looks like plenty of room! i got mine off of Craigs list for only $45. still waiting to get my torts, I'm about to start my build on my tank. starting from the ground up. building a tank stand and canopy and then all the fancy stuff. soon as i start the build this weekend or next I'm going to start a big thread with lots of pics. any advice during would be great because i have zero experience with torts. so good hunting on that new tank. new at petco is $119 and crags list i found a $45 one.

Troy

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Well my first suggestion is that you figure out how to use tinypic.com :D

Looks much better now. More space would be great. Lately I've been using dark, opaque hide boxes instead of the clear ones and my torts seem to like them better. You can get a black dish washing tub from Walmart for bout $2. I just cut a door hole and flip them upside down. So far so good. You'll have room for this in the bigger tank.

phantoms

5 Year Member
Wilmington DE
Tom said:
Well my first suggestion is that you figure out how to use tinypic.com :D

Looks much better now. More space would be great. Lately I've been using dark, opaque hide boxes instead of the clear ones and my torts seem to like them better. You can get a black dish washing tub from Walmart for bout $2. I just cut a door hole and flip them upside down. So far so good. You'll have room for this in the bigger tank.

Just picked up the 40G tank tonight at petsmart. Yea I have to get a darker hide box. That will be on the list to do tomorrow. I'll get pics up tomorrow. I also changed over to the Exo Terra Solar Glo 125w bulb. Seems to be better with heat and light for him. Glad I did buy the bigger tank. He seems very happy in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.