Tanning Sulcata Tortoise?

Hospitable-Insanity

Location (City and/or State)
Missouri
I've noticed that my sulcata tortoise's skin has gotten slightly darker since I've brought him home from the pet shop a month or so ago. The lighting is still the same, same bulb, same rays.
his skin tone when i brought him home was a sandy type color, now its like, a light light dirt. I don't know how to explain it, but its darker.
Is it natural/normal for tortoises to get "tan"?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you're using a UVB light, its perfectly normal for a tortoise's coloring to change with exposure to the light. It will change even more once he starts living outside.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Young hatchlings do darken with UV exposure, but they can also get "stained" by their substrate. This doesn't hurt anything.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
My little light angels are all dark dark now. Some is substrate staining and some is from not being outside all the time. At least, that is what I was told when I asked why they are getting so dark.

LilSambo42

5 Year Member
So Cal
i had this same thing happen to me i was very concerned but your post put me at ease, especially because i just got samba a new uvb light

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I've noticed that my sulcata tortoise's skin has gotten slightly darker since I've brought him home from the pet shop a month or so ago. The lighting is still the same, same bulb, same rays.
his skin tone when i brought him home was a sandy type color, now its like, a light light dirt. I don't know how to explain it, but its darker.
Is it natural/normal for tortoises to get "tan"?
A very warm welcome to the forum! ;)

Any pics of your "tanned" tort? :)