Tate's new digs

crissyshine

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Durham, NC
So I'm upgrading my 4.5 yr old box turtles enclosure. I had him in a 40 gal. rubbermaid tub.
My brother just built his new house and had an extra kitchen cabinet that was the perfect dimensions!
I gave him a ramp with a second story (still need to attach a little lip like the ramp has so he won't try and climb over). And plenty of space to crawl around on the bottom.

For substrate I use organic topsoil and coco coir with some spaghnum moss mixed in. I plan on lining the box so I won't have an issue with the water warping the wood when I spray it for the humidity.
His basking and eating area will be on the second level with pieces of slate to eat off/warm his belly.
He has a hide that's normally for large rodents (rats, guinea pigs...) but I cut it so he can have 2 entrances to get inside.
Temps and humidity are great in his current enclosure.

Any other suggestions what I should put in?
*more pics when I finally have everything set up*
(Fyi, not much of a plant person. I can never keep them alive)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 44
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 44
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    994 KB · Views: 42
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 45
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 48

crissyshine

5 Year Member
Durham, NC
So, all set up (sans leaf litter that I will get when it stop raining).
Also, I still have to put the lip/barrier where the slate is.
I put his house there for the time being because he can climb on top of that (and has) to get down without flipping.
I put rocks there too just in case he tries to go down where his food is.
Currently he is under the bridge, acting angry because he's somewhere new (typical:rolleyes:).
I'm gonna go see where I can't get some fake plants for cheap to liven his place up a bit.
Also going to install a uvb bulb inside the enclosure.
I've seen the long ones but I don't know how to get it going without buying a top? holder?image.jpgimage.jpg

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I would put some moss on the top floor, just so he can have a place to hide up there if he wants to. Good job, by the way!

I know what you mean with live plants...all of mine die eventually and I just don't get it. I guess I have to buy fake ones as well but I'm so worried my tortoise is going to tear off a piece and eat it by accident

crissyshine

5 Year Member
Durham, NC
I would put some moss on the top floor, just so he can have a place to hide up there if he wants to. Good job, by the way!

I know what you mean with live plants...all of mine die eventually and I just don't get it. I guess I have to buy fake ones as well but I'm so worried my tortoise is going to tear off a piece and eat it by accident
Thank you!
He usually hangs out under the ramp or on the bottom floor, but the moss may make him want to stay on the second level more :)
Also, he digs the fake plants up. I've never seen him try to eat them.

crissyshine

5 Year Member
Durham, NC
Also, I'm having trouble finding clamps in pet stores. Does anyone know where I can get clamps only? I think I threw my old ones out by accident.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Crissyshine
You may want to talk to Yvonne G about clamp lights cause I believe they can come loose an burn your tort . Sorry my torts are in outdoor pens God gives them light for free :)

crissyshine

5 Year Member
Durham, NC
Crissyshine
You may want to talk to Yvonne G about clamp lights cause I believe they can come loose an burn your tort . Sorry my torts are in outdoor pens God gives them light for free :)
Thanks, I'll message her!
I live in the city in an apartment. No outdoor space for him, sadly :(
Also, our weather isn't good for him to be out year round.