Jeter's New expanded Digs!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Georgetown, TX
Ok, after seeing how cramped Jeter looked in his small flower bed enclosure, I decided to expand him. Not sure if he is going to use the rock ramp to climb up to the higher level, but it is there if he wants to try.

Let me know what you guys think

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Cool spot....does he climb? I only ask because the angle of the last pic looks like he could climb that bush and go awol....like I said likely just the angle of the pic...:D

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
He has been known to climb and yes that is just a bad camera angle. My concerns now are is his shelter during the rain. Before he was under the eaves of the roof, so unless he uses his rocks to climb back to that level...he only has the bushes. I will probably watch and see what he does. So far he has taken cover under the 2nd and 3rd bushes that are on either side of his rock ladder. It is still new to him, so I am sure he has not all done with his investigation.

Thanks for the input...

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
:D I did not notice until now, in the last pic it appears that you have a rain gutter run off that looks like it goes right into the enclosed area? Maybe just seeing things....but that would worry me...especially in the event of a downpour...?

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
ascott said:
:D I did not notice until now, in the last pic it appears that you have a rain gutter run off that looks like it goes right into the enclosed area? Maybe just seeing things....but that would worry me...especially in the event of a downpour...?

Very good eye, I never would have noticed

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
It does not rain much here in TX, but yes that is a drain spout. Tried to redirect it yesterday by moving to front of post, but it pointed to the sidewalk. I am now going to add some pvc or hose to route it out of the enclosure. That is on todays list as well as move his food and water dishes around. It was a little cooler than normal last night, so he has not come out yet this morning to soak as he usually does. Good eye though and thanks for the reminder. I will take more pictues when I get it all done.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Home Depot had a downspout attachment that is a self-rolling tube that unrolls when filled with water. Attach it to your downspout, and unroll it till it gets to the other side of the wall and let it sit there till the rain fills it up and it releases to water on the other side of your enclosure wall. I think is it a 8 or 10 foot roll.

...opps... after looking at your pic again I see how your downspout is facing. You may need to rotate your spout 180* and use the attachment to divert the water down the side of your walkway.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I look forward to the updated pics....you will have a lovely spot for Jeter when you are done...:D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You could add lots of substrate all along the front of the old flower bed to make a hill at the old cement border.

I like what you've done. I'm sure your little Jeter will like having more room to wander too.

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Funny you said that Yvonne....after I cleaned out that flower bed, I had lots of dried leaves...I ended up putting them back in, but under the bushes. That is where I found him tonight...tucked up under one of the Nandinas under the leaf clutter. Just a little more and that would be a natural ladder up to the old area.

I like the spout solution. I will have to check at Home Depot. That would solve the water problem, if it is a hard thunderstorm. We are almost into the dry season, but that would give me a better feeling knowing that I have not flooded his area, by putting extra water into it.

Thanks everyone, if you see anything else...just let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.