TELL ME ABOUT YOUR TORT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
CT
I offered to foster my adult leopard "Princess Leia" and fell madly in love with her and we kept her. Then I saw "Sid" (Darth Sideous) my sulcata up for adoption but lived in Montana so we adopted Sid. Then I wanted to raise a hatchling and was lucky enough to be able to purchase one from Tom. I loved my shelled family and hope it continues to grow:)

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Ohio
SDDTMama said:
I received Owen (gopherus agassizii) from a coworker who owns a 3-year-old sulcata. She couldn't keep Owen, too (at the time, a hatchling) due to their size differences and the lack of space available to eventually build them their own separate outdoor enclosures.
Owen is now approx. 5 months old, and he brings me so much joy! I was pleasantly surprised by 'his' personality- he's so friendly and curious and *definitely* tame (he'll crawl into our palm to get out of his tortoise table and take food from our hands ❤).
I'd say I'd eventually like to own another tort, but Owen takes up so much of my time and concern (Are his temps right? Has he pooped lately? Has he been eating his cuttle bone or does he need more supplementation? Did he get soaked today? Was it long enough? Does he need another soak? Does he get enough hay in his diet? Do I vary his produce enough? Does he eat too many dandelion greens? Has he expelled urates? Are they the right consistency? Did he get enough exercise/ stimulation today? Is his routine staying consistent? Is his skin too dry? Is he pyramiding? Is he gaining enough weight? Is he growing too quickly? Etc, etc, etc . . . It's never ending) -that I cannot imagine taking on another slew of concerns wrapped up in the cutest little shelled 'package'.
My hat's off to all those who do . . . :D

It's awesome that your lil guy climbs right in your hand - sssoo cute!

shelloise

5 Year Member
Manitoba Canada
I have a two year old redfoot and a 8 or so years old russian . I have had them less than a year. Both were from Kijiji ads I came across and I love having them.

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
i have a leopard and a Russian tortoise. i love them both dearly and they have completely different personalities. i enjoy the leopard because she will hopefully grow to be big, but not giant, haha. and she's such a curious and fascinating animal :)

Shannon and Jason

5 Year Member
South Arkansas
Our Tank is a Sulcata.....and plan to get a sri lankan star in the future and a couple more sully's once Tank is grazing the back forty full time

IowaGuy28

5 Year Member
I only have my lil' homie. He's a 17 month old Sulcata named Tilley, the name came from a tort my long past grandma had before I was even a teen. I'm nearly 29 now. No idea what makes, mostly land, turtles and torts so fascinating to me. In the past 3 years I decided I wanted to own a pet that wasn't the normal cat, dog, fish, bird etc. I also realized I'm old enough to enjoy watching something grow and I wanted something that will grow Big. Tilley was maybe an inch and a half the day he was air shipped from Vegas and is now around 7-8. I care more for him/her than I do my cat that I've had for 3 years. I'm just bearly a year into my awesome investment and my (all older) family is already asking who Tilley will go to in 60 years....makes me smile

Shannon and Jason said:
Our Tank is a Sulcata.....and plan to get a sri lankan star in the future and a couple more sully's once Tank is grazing the back forty full time

Dude! Is Tank on YouTube? I've seen him!

critters88

5 Year Member
Joined the forum a couple weeks ago. Was going to wait a couple months to get my torts, I couldnt wait after seeing everyones torts! I got them shipped and they arrived today. So I can now say with great pride Im the proud new caretaker of my first torts ever. 2 leopards I am already in love and find them to be so amazing! I have not named them yet need to watch them for a couple days first.

Attachments

• 100_1889.jpg
    100_1889.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 8

Shannon and Jason

5 Year Member
South Arkansas
IowaGuy28 said:
I only have my lil' homie. He's a 17 month old Sulcata named Tilley, the name came from a tort my long past grandma had before I was even a teen. I'm nearly 29 now. No idea what makes, mostly land, turtles and torts so fascinating to me. In the past 3 years I decided I wanted to own a pet that wasn't the normal cat, dog, fish, bird etc. I also realized I'm old enough to enjoy watching something grow and I wanted something that will grow Big. Tilley was maybe an inch and a half the day he was air shipped from Vegas and is now around 7-8. I care more for him/her than I do my cat that I've had for 3 years. I'm just bearly a year into my awesome investment and my (all older) family is already asking who Tilley will go to in 60 years....makes me smile

Shannon and Jason said:

Dude! Is Tank on YouTube? I've seen him!

lol no he must have a look alike.......I've seen the commercial with the lil baby sully walking across the table on utube tho loved it

jmhoesch

5 Year Member
We have one Greek torti named Mr. Pickles. Got him about 10 days ago as a birthday present for our 12 yr old daughter. She loves him and so do we. He's very entertaining, curious about everything, and he'll let me scratch his little head and when I open the tank doors he'll poke his head out and come up to me. I'm always talking to him and he loves his warm soaking baths............I'm neurotic and paranoid that I'm not doing everything right. lol

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
I have two red foots. One is 2yrs and from a breeder here on the forum. The other one I bought from a pet store. It wasn't my intention because I wanted to get another from the same breeder but as I was shopping for other goods & I noticed they had red foots. Usually it's just russians. Well over a course of a few months I saw the same two in the store. I just fell in love with her. I couldn't stop thinking about her day & night. So when my husband was on a business trip in China I finally broke down and bought her at a discount. On the way home my 6yr old said "daddy's going to be mad!" Well I have had her going on a year and she is doing great.

I wouldn't say mine have the best personalities as they do keep to themselves but are more active when they are outside. I do love them but I would love to add another species like a leopard or russian.
If I wasn't married I think I would have a few more. But then again, if I wasn't married I wouldn't be on two acres and able to get more. My secret dream is for a sullie but I don't see that happening.

ulkal

5 Year Member
I have 2 leopards I got 3 months ago-I think they are 8-9 months now.
They are so cool and beautiful and curious and friendly....Never thought
I would be so crazy about pets.
Now I find myself wanting more tortoises..leopards, stars, pancakes.... have to hold myself back on my daily visits
to various tortoise pages :D

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
I have a sulcata, named Spunky. He (I say he) I'm not sure, lol. I acquired him from a lady that found him in La Vernia, Texas. She brought him to me because I work with Rescued animals. Little did she know he'd be my first Tortoise ever. Lol and little did I know he'd be the love of my life. Cutest lil face. He's precious. I am learning lots here in this forum and I'm very thankful its here because I really knew nothing. So once again Thank you to everyone that's been there and given me advice. :)

Drakkina_Fluture

5 Year Member
CA
I have a desert tortoise believed to be female age unknown. I got her by kinda snatching her from my nieces and nephew cause they weren't taking good care of her. I love her to pieces though and enjoy watching her just be herself and experiencing new things. Even though I have had her for 2 years there are still things that surprise her lol and she is looking a little better all the time

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Drakkina_Fluture said:
I have a desert tortoise believed to be female age unknown. I got her by kinda snatching her from my nieces and nephew cause they weren't taking good care of her. I love her to pieces though and enjoy watching her just be herself and experiencing new things. Even though I have had her for 2 years there are still things that surprise her lol and she is looking a little better all the time

I forgot to add CDT to my list. I would love to get one someday. My friend had a clutch of eggs that never hatched. She had no idea her female was gravid but she left them as she should and nothing. I was on the list to adopt one. I was so bummed.

Status
Not open for further replies.