Temperature change due to lamp heating up?

beccarussell1

Hello all,

I have a horsefield tortoise around a year old. We live in the UK. He has an indoor tortoise table with a mercury UV/heat lamp at one end (100w).

I turn his lamp on around 9am and leave it on until around 10pm. I have found that the lamp takes a while to warm up, I have a thermometer in the basking area and I've found it takes around 2 hours to reach his optimum temp (32°). It stays at this temp for approx 7 hours but then gradually gets warmer and warmer so late evening the basking area reaches temperatures of 36° which is too hot for him and of course he stomps over to his hide at the other end of the table and doesn't come out again.

Should I turn the lamp off for an hour early evening to allow it to cool down? Or should I move the lamp higher above the table?

Any advice greatly appreciated

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I can't say I have heard of this before. You have the mercury vapor bulb correct? You have it in a ceramic socket correct? If the answers is yes to all, maybe try putting it towards one side further away from the main area.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
My tort has always taken herself off to bed by about 5.30 even in the summer when she could have longer grazing so maybe it's just his bedtime. There are many experienced people on here who can advise you better but is the lamp in a holder with a dome? I believe that this will help concentrate the heat where you want it.

beccarussell1

Yes the lamp is all ok and in a ceramic holder.

He has plenty of space to get away from the heat, I just worry that he should be basking more than he is, but if you're tort has an early bedtime maybe mine does too and he's just going off to sleep haha

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Mine certainly is a creature of habit, but I am sure more knowledgeable folk will give the benefit of their experience when they can - and check the care sheets they are full of information on diet, enclosures and lighting etc You'll learn such a lot on this site about what to do and not to do - don't know what I'd do without it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
My russians doesn't bask a whole lot either. Even in the summer time when he lives outside, he doesn't want to be in the sunlight as much as he likes spending time in the shade or hidden. One thing that can help them to possibly stay out longer, is plants. If they feel covered and secure from above, they would/might be more willing to be out more.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I'm not sure why it would take two hours to reach the highest temperature. And then why it keeps getting hotter as the day goes on. it should reach a certain temperature and stay there. it is a mercury vapor bulb right? mine would reach Max temperature in half an hour or so and then it did not fluctuate. even outdoors my tortoise usually puts herself to bed by about 530 or so.

weldorNate

10 Year Member!
North Dakota
I don't know why the bulb is getting hotter towards then end of the day. I have heard of the oils from our skin will cause hotspots on certain bulbs don't know if that is the case. For it heating up I think its just the substrate absorbing the heat. Just a guess I have not sure though.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Becca:

I would buy another fixture and just put a regular 100 watt incandescent bulb in it. Leave the UVB light on until late afternoon when it starts to get too hot, then turn it off and use the regular light for heat for the rest of the day.

keepergale

5 Year Member
san diego
The ambient temperatures in your home probably rise thru the day increasing the efficiency of your lamp.