Temperatures....please??

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Blackburn, U.K.
Well my tortoises basking spot is 90-95*
And at 11.00pm i turn it off and it drops to room tempareture is this to cold or...
Shall i put a heatmat in the enclosure under the hide or...
Please&Thankyou!:rolleyes::shy::p

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Don't know if it's to cold what 's the room temp????????????

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't keep redfoot tortoises in the house, but from what I've read here on the forum, for indoors, an overall temp of around 80 degrees with no hot spot is quite ok for redfoots.

If you look at the bottom of Madkins007, with his signature, he has a link to the Tortoise Library. He keeps redfoot tortoises and he has some nice articles in his library on this subject.

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
thankyou i can not keep my tort outdoor 24/7 as i live in britain but i try get him out as much as possible! :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Did you read Madkins' articles? He tells temperatures and more.

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
I say no to the heat mat. Did you get the thermometer? I think 72 at night is ok with the RF's. Mine have been enduring 100 degree heat and have adapted nicely. Cools down to about 85 at night which would be there normal temp. range. Just keep the humidity where it needs to be and read the articles as mentioned and I think you will be alright.

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
A 15 cm (6 inch) Red-Footed tortoise can easily withstand temperatures down to 15.5° C (60° F) at night as long as they are warmed to normal temps during the day.

Smash Rockwell

5 Year Member
Michigan
I have one of those ceramic heat emitters because I like my house cold at night or I cant sleep... Before I just had a heat lamp that I turned off before bed. Now it stays warm in there all day and night with the CHE. I have it on one side of the enclosure and if its too hot for my RF he goes into another hide on the other side... But mostly stays under his log hide on the hot side all night.

HarleyK

5 Year Member
Every tortoise maybe different, but I use a temp gun all the time to measure surface temps. The interesting thing about my torty is that he's always in the 81F - 87F and nothing hotter. I have never seen him in the low 90's spot. In the mornings I see him in the mid-70's.

Maybe this is the temp of the rainforests interesting:D

Status
Not open for further replies.