Temperatures

Natalie44

Location (City and/or State)
Essex
Almost done as you can see! I just have to put the uv up which I’m going to hang with zip ties. A couple of questions-
1) is the CHE placement and height okay?
2) on the cooler end the temperature is 22/23 and at the basking spot it’s 37. Right now I don’t think I’m going to need the CHE on during the day….but in winter it’ll be a different story. Considering the my temperatures being at the correct levels right now what does everyone think about that?
Natalie x

Attachments

• IMG_4914.jpeg
    IMG_4914.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4915.jpeg
    IMG_4915.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Almost done as you can see! I just have to put the uv up which I’m going to hang with zip ties. A couple of questions-
2) on the cooler end the temperature is 22/23 and at the basking spot it’s 37. Right now I don’t think I’m going to need the CHE on during the day….but in winter it’ll be a different story. Considering the my temperatures being at the correct levels right now what does everyone think about that?
Natalie x
Exciting! The che placement looks fine to me in the pics😊and your temps are sounding good!
As for the che being on, just leave it switched on at the mains and the thermostat it’s connected to will keep it off with your temps being ok! It’ll only kick in of the night if they drop too low👍

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The height looks okay, but only you can tell for sure with a thermostat or temp gun.
Why are there three hanging fixtures?
One for incandescent basking bulb, one for CHE the other?
Then you still have the uvb to hang.
Also, don't forget to recheck all temps when it's winter. More adjustments may be needed.

Natalie44

Essex
The height looks okay, but only you can tell for sure with a thermostat or temp gun.
Why are there three hanging fixtures?
One for incandescent basking bulb, one for CHE the other?
Then you still have the uvb to hang.
Also, don't forget to recheck all temps when it's winter. More adjustments may be needed.
Yes, I’m going to plug the thermostat in now (it’s just arrived). It’s a habistat pulse proportional. Where would I place the probe? The other fixture is a 5000k LED bulb for ambient lighting

Natalie44

Essex
Want
Exciting! The che placement looks fine to me in the pics😊and your temps are sounding good!
As for the che being on, just leave it switched on at the mains and the thermostat it’s connected to will keep it off with your temps being ok! It’ll only kick in of the night if they drop too low👍
dang….i think I got the wrong thermostat :/ it says the range is from 26 to 40 degrees. I only need it to be about 21 over night lol

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Natalie x
1. Looks good to me.
2. The thermostat will determine this. You don't turn it on or off. The thermostat does. Place the probe low down, but out of tortoise reach on the far coolest end away from any heat sources. You want the coolest part of the enclosure to be above the set point on the thermostat.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Want

dang….i think I got the wrong thermostat :/ it says the range is from 26 to 40 degrees. I only need it to be about 21 over night lol
You also don't need a "pulse proportional" thermostat. Those are more expensive. It won't hurt anything to use one like that, but its not "necessary". Just a regular on/off type will do. They only cost $20-30 US.

Natalie44

Essex
1. Looks good to me.
2. The thermostat will determine this. You don't turn it on or off. The thermostat does. Place the probe low down, but out of tortoise reach on the far coolest end away from any heat sources. You want the coolest part of the enclosure to be above the set point on the thermostat.
Thank you for letting me know :) also, have I got the wrong thermostat? I got a habistat pulse proportional and the temp range is from 26-40 degrees. I only need to get it down to 21 degrees over night and my day time temps at the moment is 22/23 at the cool end and 37 at the basking spot.

Natalie44

Essex
You also don't need a "pulse proportional" thermostat. Those are more expensive. It won't hurt anything to use one like that, but it’s not "necessary". Just a regular on/off type will do. They only cost $20-30 US.
Yea I’ve realised that now :(
You also don't need a "pulse proportional" thermostat. Those are more expensive. It won't hurt anything to use one like that, but its not "necessary". Just a regular on/off type will do. They only cost $20-30 US.
Would something like this have been better if I only need to get my night temp to 21 degrees? The pulse proportional one is from 26-40 degrees.

Attachments

• IMG_4921.jpeg
    IMG_4921.jpeg
    142.7 KB · Views: 1

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Yea I’ve realised that now :(

Would something like this have been better if I only need to get my night temp to 21 degrees? The pulse proportional one is from 26-40 degrees.
Ah bless you yeah you have to check the temperature ranges, I nearly made this mistake myself when getting ours😣
That second one sounds fine, whilst the pulse aren’t necessary, I do personally like them for the ceramics🙂 and yeah 600w is the one you’re going for👍 hopefully you can exchange them? Place the probe where Tom has said when it comes😊