Temporary heating

Lilsuzu

Location (City and/or State)
Tenessee
Just got my baby Hermann, very excited. One big problem, I bought him a 100w Mercury vapor bulb… and the lamp fixture is not working. It will be 2, maybe 3 days until I can get another one. I happened to have a heat mat that I’ve attached to the outside glass of the side of his 29g terrarium. The temperature doesn’t seem to be changing much but that’s all the warmth I can provide for my poor baby right now… will he be ok?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome,
Babies need to be kept warm at the right temps day and night so hopefully one of the US members can advise you on emergency heating
What temperature readings are you getting at tort level?
MVB bulbs aren't recommended now because they have been found to dry and damage tort shells. Many of us use T5 HO tube kits for uvb with a separate flood basking bulb and a CHE run through a thermostat for night heat.
This is the caresheet you need for you baby so your temps should match those given.
Can you post pics of your enclosure so you can get more detailed help?

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Just got my baby Hermann, very excited. One big problem, I bought him a 100w Mercury vapor bulb… and the lamp fixture is not working. It will be 2, maybe 3 days until I can get another one. I happened to have a heat mat that I’ve attached to the outside glass of the side of his 29g terrarium. The temperature doesn’t seem to be changing much but that’s all the warmth I can provide for my poor baby right now… will he be ok?
Can you hang the heat mat on the inside out of reach of your tortoise?

Lilsuzu

Tenessee
Can you hang the heat mat on the inside out of reach of your tortoise?
The adhesive isn’t great and I’m scared it’ll fall off and burn him :/ the temp reading I’m getting is 68 which is way too low I know I just don’t have many options.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The adhesive isn’t great and I’m scared it’ll fall off and burn him :/ the temp reading I’m getting is 68 which is way too low I know I just don’t have many options.
Why can't you go to Home depot and get a fixture and a bulb? You shouldn't be using a mercury vapor bulb anyway.

Lilsuzu

Tenessee
Why can't you go to Home depot and get a fixture and a bulb? You shouldn't be using a mercury vapor bulb anyway.
From all the research I did, a MVB seemed fine especially since it has uvb. You guys are pretty non comprising with newcomers it seems…

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
Welcome! Glad you got a tort. As @Tom will say, MVB bulbs cause pyramiding.
(Most info from petshops and the internet is outdated)
Currently the problem is heat, you could get a CHE, but as you said, the shipping would be a problem, what type of heatpad are you using?
For lighting and basking you can use an incandescent flood light bulb. (The CHE and incandescent flood light bulb are mentioned in the caresheet, so it's important to make sure you read it to ensure your tort stays healthy. @Lyn W has linked it above.)
Can you send images of the viv and tort?

Lilsuzu

Tenessee
Welcome! Glad you got a tort. As @Tom will say, MVB bulbs cause pyramiding.
(Most info from petshops and the internet is outdated)
Currently the problem is heat, you could get a CHE, but as you said, the shipping would be a problem, what type of heatpad are you using?
For lighting and basking you can use an incandescent flood light bulb. (The CHE and incandescent flood light bulb are mentioned in the caresheet, so it's important to make sure you read it to ensure your tort stays healthy. @Lyn W has linked it above.)
Can you send images of the viv and tort?
I will post pics in just a minute. Right now I have him in a box with a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel. Would a 65w incandescent flood light be ok for a 29g? And if I could get to Home Depot, probably tomorrow, what would I be able to use for a fixture until my other one arrives?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
From all the research I did, a MVB seemed fine especially since it has uvb. You guys are pretty non comprising with newcomers it seems…
Many of the members here have been keeping tortoises for many years. Lots of trial and lots of errors. As we learn we try to share with the tortoise community so that other people don't have to learn the hard way, at the expense of the tortoise, as we did. It may feel "non comprising" to you, but we are just trying to help you avoid the common pitfalls.

You can use any screw-in type light fixture that is rated for the bulb you want to use, and can be safely mounted in a way that it can't fall or start a fire.

A 65 watt flood bulb is a good starting point, and you'll need to be able to adjust the height to get the correct temperature under it, but only your thermometer can tell you if you need more or less wattage.

Bridgebob

Arlington, Virginia
I got a Restaurant food heating lamp. Easy to adjust and is very hot! She loves it but it does not provide UV. I have a LED UV light for that.

The Restaurant food heating lamp is built like a Blitzkrieg Tank, and is kind of pricey. But it probably last a lifetime, except for the bulbs. It will clamp on square surfaces easily but make sure they are sturdy.

Be careful if you get one it will give you a nasty burn. Let it cool off.

Make sure you keep it a safe distance. You can check this with your hand.

My EBT (Eastern Box Turtle) loves it.

Yeah your Tortoise will be OK for a while.

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
I will post pics in just a minute. Right now I have him in a box with a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel. Would a 65w incandescent flood light be ok for a 29g? And if I could get to Home Depot, probably tomorrow, what would I be able to use for a fixture until my other one arrives?
I use a 65W incandescent flood bulb that is hung from above. I raise or lower depending upon what my temp gun says.