Territorial tortoise

elizabeth_jasmine

Location (City and/or State)
Greater Manchester
Hi all,
My 17 year old female Hermanns is being very aggressive all of a sudden. She normally enjoys attention and petting but recently, if i put my hand near her face she'll try to bite and won't stop until I back off. I was petting her earlier today and found that if I moved my hand forwards from the back of her shell so she couldn't see it coming, she liked being petted and put her neck right out, but as soon as she saw my fingers, she tried to bite. She also gets really angry if I touch her food or water bowl and charges at me, which makes cleaning difficult. I have no idea what's going on. It seems like territorial behaviour to me, but I don't remember her ever acting like this before

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Hi all,
My 17 year old female Hermanns is being very aggressive all of a sudden. She normally enjoys attention and petting but recently, if i put my hand near her face she'll try to bite and won't stop until I back off. I was petting her earlier today and found that if I moved my hand forwards from the back of her shell so she couldn't see it coming, she liked being petted and put her neck right out, but as soon as she saw my fingers, she tried to bite. She also gets really angry if I touch her food or water bowl and charges at me, which makes cleaning difficult. I have no idea what's going on. It seems like territorial behaviour to me, but I don't remember her ever acting like this before
Our Hermanns is nearly 23, and he has been aggressive a lot recently, mostly to my shoes and to things in his conservatory, which is where he spends a lot of the day. I wonder if his mental clock was confused when Summer time started - he has never been quite like this before.
It is puzzling, isn't it, when something like this happens - could it even be an age-related thing ? Could yours be having a rush of female hormones ?
I don't think it is likely to be a medical problem, anyway, and it may wear off quite quickly - I hope it will!
Angie (from Devon)

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
We in Jamaica would say:. "Chuh man! Dem jus old and miserable.". But they are really not that old at all for tortoises, are they? Hmmm.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi all,
Springtime. Normal. You can move the tortoise to a tub of warm water to soak while you do enclosure maintenance and feeding. Other than that, just keep your hand out of the way.

Are you sure you have a female? Post a tail pic showing the anal scutes.

elizabeth_jasmine

Greater Manchester
Our Hermanns is nearly 23, and he has been aggressive a lot recently, mostly to my shoes and to things in his conservatory, which is where he spends a lot of the day. I wonder if his mental clock was confused when Summer time started - he has never been quite like this before.
It is puzzling, isn't it, when something like this happens - could it even be an age-related thing ? Could yours be having a rush of female hormones ?
I don't think it is likely to be a medical problem, anyway, and it may wear off quite quickly - I hope it will!
Angie (from Devon)
We're based in the UK as well- I wonder if it is to do with the time of year then? I thought it could be something to do with hormones as well. As long as she's ok and not sick, that's the main thing- hopefully it will sort itself out

zolasmum

5 Year Member
We're based in the UK as well- I wonder if it is to do with the time of year then? I thought it could be something to do with hormones as well. As long as she's ok and not sick, that's the main thing- hopefully it will sort itself out
Zola has been through these moody spells at times before, but this time seems to be focused on aggression and destruction more than usual. But then , even now, he can be affectionate and totally sweet - I think he will settle down again soon, and probably yours will too. I call his behaviour - "I don't know what I want, but I want it NOW!"
In some ways, I am almost pleased that he can assert himself - he has a strong character !
Anyway, don't worry about yours too much - she will probably calm down soon. Are you sure she is a female, and have you had her all her life?
Angie

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
My Hermanns has been on a wild rampage for the last couple of weeks as well. He’s always a bit of a jerk (lol) but way more so over the last couple weeks. Wants to bite, seems restless, aggressive, destroying his enclosure and moving things around. I really think it’s all to do with the time of year. I’m glad to hear I’m not the only one with a naughty Hermanns tortoise right now 😂. Mine will be 4 years old in a couple of weeks.

elizabeth_jasmine

Greater Manchester
Springtime. Normal. You can move the tortoise to a tub of warm water to soak while you do enclosure maintenance and feeding. Other than that, just keep your hand out of the way.

Are you sure you have a female? Post a tail pic showing the anal scutes.
These are the only pics I can access right now, but they don't show her tail. I hope she's a girl or my life will be a lie 😂

Attachments

• IMG_20230403_124708027_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230403_124708027_HDR.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20221001_150501536.jpg
    IMG_20221001_150501536.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5

zolasmum

5 Year Member
My Hermanns has been on a wild rampage for the last couple of weeks as well. He’s always a bit of a jerk (lol) but way more so over the last couple weeks. Wants to bite, seems restless, aggressive, destroying his enclosure and moving things around. I really think it’s all to do with the time of year. I’m glad to hear I’m not the only one with a naughty Hermanns tortoise right now 😂. Mine will be 4 years old in a couple of weeks.
It's very reassuring to know that other tortoises have similar behaviour, and that it's nothing to do with our care . I love Zola so much,but there are times when I find his behaviour quite distressing, and yet most of the time he is a wonderful little chap, and I'm really proud of him. You could be describing Zola's behaviour exactly, and even after having him for 21 years he still gets these moods at times - only he is a lot bigger and stronger now, of course I
Angie

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
I agree. I was glad to see this thread started. Dozer will still have some sweet and gentle moments right now, but generally only first thing in the morning. By the time afternoon rolls around….watch out. It’s enter at your own risk 😂

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
These are the only pics I can access right now, but they don't show her tail. I hope she's a girl or my life will be a lie 😂
It is very common for vets, pet shops, and even tortoise keepers to get the sex wrong because all tortoises look female as juveniles.

We can take a look when you have time to get some tail pics.

elizabeth_jasmine

Greater Manchester
It is very common for vets, pet shops, and even tortoise keepers to get the sex wrong because all tortoises look female as juveniles.

We can take a look when you have time to get some tail pics.
Let me know if you need me to try and get a better one!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230414-104402.png
    Screenshot_20230414-104402.png
    218.9 KB · Views: 4

elizabeth_jasmine

Greater Manchester
I can't see the tail very well, but it looks small and the plastron looks flat. Looking very female to me.
Thank you! I did read that females can become aggressive at this time of year if they're holding eggs, but I haven't seen any sign of her trying to dig a nest or anything so I wonder if it is just hormones kicking in...