Terryo How do you do it??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Belchertown Ma
Terryo how do you ever get those beautiful plants growing with your torts???Please give me the secret, this is as big as I have gotten any to grow and you can see what's about to happen!!
Na
DSC03180.jpg

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Haha I think everyone would kill for that secret ;) ... I think its just a green thumb

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
That's funny Nay. Since Pio got bigger, I have to put all the plants along the outer edge of the viv, so he has more space. I am starting to think of a bigger enclosure for him for next fall when I bring him in again. I put a load of food on his piece of slate, and if he doesn't finish it I leave it there until he goes to bed at night, and then take it out and put more in again the next AM. That way he always has something good in there to eat besides the plants. I also throw in some hard mazuri around the enclosure (three or four pieces) so he finds them as he walks around. Some times I hear crunching in there and I know he has found one. For some reason he never bothers with the plants, except if I have something in there that has flowers. Pansies, or begonia's... he will eat the whole plant. I leave them in the little pots that they come in and just bury the pot. Maybe if you make them a little higher they won't be able to reach them. I'm sure if I had another kind of tort, they would all be gone too. You can see in this picture that they are all on one side toward the front, and on the side is the begonia that I brought in. He hasn't bothered that....yet.

089-1.jpg

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I had Begonia's in Dale's enclosure and one day they were just gone. Not one of them left. Dale doesn't eat any other plant except he trampled a piece off of the Aloe Vera and I fed that to him this morning and he almost finished the whole thing. Little piggy that he is. I feed Dale everyday also so I don't think he's that interested in any of the other plants. :D Terry not to get off topic, but I was wondering how many inches Pio is now that he's two years old?

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Candy...Pio was born in July of 07. July of 09 he was 5 1/4 in. I haven't measured him since then, but he must have grown some these past 6 months. I never put the Aloe Vera in there, but I'm going to try that. Also I want to get a banana plant and put that in.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Wow Pio is 5 1/4 inches already that's good. Dale is a tiny bit over 7 inches now. I have a Banana Plant in his outdoor enclosure, but I still have to plant it in the ground. Some times I think I'm so lazy. :D Terry how much dirt do you mix with the mulch and the moss that you have in there? Do you ever gets bugs with it? When you got Pio did you use exactly what you're using now in his enclosure (like dirt, moss and mulch)?

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Hahaha, terryo's got the secret and Jordan cracked the code! ;)

All we can do is salivate over the photos and dream...:p

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Stephanie...believe me..anyone can do gardening with some practice. I had a head start because my father was a gardner and loved plants. From the time I could walk, he would take me in the woods, looking for different kinds of mushrooms. I wish that I had pictures of his little yard in Brooklyn. It was like a wonderland filled with all kinds of fruit trees, flowers, veggies etc. . For as long as I can remember we had a boxie in that yard, and I even wrote an article about it for some local paper, and posted it somewhere on here. I would give anything for 1 more day with that man...there is so much I want to ask him.
Candy, I have about 6 or 7 in. of substrate in there and when I re-do it in the fall I change things around. Right now I put some cyprus mulch around his food slate and his hide, and the frog moss around his water dish. Of course it used to stay much cleaner when he was little.
I wish I could put a banana tree in his outdoor enclosure, but it's too cold here. The substrate is about the same as when he was litt. Just different plants. I've never had any bugs.
He just got his first piece of chicken. I never saw him eat so fast.

001-29.jpg

002-26.jpg

003-22.jpg

005-27.jpg

This is his 55 gal when he was a baby...awwww ..baby Pio..

Scan0012-2.jpg

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Oh my gosh Terry how precious he was as a baby. Don't you look back and just miss it? I wanted to know if you had cooked the chicken that he was eating?

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Hahaha, big piggy Pio!

At first glance, I thought he had a huge chunk of cuttlebone...a calcium addict like young Nelson and some others on this forum!;)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I do miss "baby Pio"...and...I'm always thinging about another for a friend...we'll see..
I made chicken soup tonight and thought I would try a little pice on him of the boiled chicken. He never had any kind of meat before except worms. I couldn't believe it. That was late this afternoon, and he still is looking at his slate for more, and it's 8 oclock now. Just sitting by his slate. lol Every time I go near his viv now he comes running over. I am really in shock. I hope he eats his greens tomorrow. Spoiled brat!!
I haven't looked at these pictures is a while...awww...he was sooooo little...
Scan0005-2.jpg

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Everytime we have people come over and I show them Dale they are amazed at how much he's grown, but I can't tell because I see him everyday. It's good that you have pictures showing how small he used to be. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.