Experts, what would you do??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Belchertown Ma
Hello again,
Asking opinion. Pinkly laid one egg last thurs. She is since eating, drinking,and pooping fine. Not in the corner digging or anything that show she is in distress. On good advice I decided to bring her in and get her xrayed. She still has 2 eggs.
Danny, she now has a very lovely nesting' area. About 14 inches deep,potting soil, spagnum moss mixture. With a light above. She has not gone near it.
What would you guys do? I have the option to inject her with calicum, then oxytocin, or wait.
Will she reabsorb the eggs? My vet says no.
Any thoughts please?
Thanks Na

I think I did get to upload picture!!!!
http://picasaweb.google.com/NadineNat/Pinkly#5438942901745560706

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
The eggs are well calcified and her bones look good. I'd give her a few weeks and after that I'd get her induced. I'm slightly worried about the egg on the right. It's a bit high up and I'm wondering if it's still in the uterus.

Danny

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I was thinking that egg on the right was still too high too. I thought the calcium didn't get deposited on the egg until it came down out of the uterus. But I don't think it would show up on the X-ray if it didn't have calcium on it.

When birds get egg bound, we are told to put them under a light. So the only thing I have to offer is for you to be sure to keep her warmer than normal, even at night.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I forgot to add that, no she won't reabsorb a shelled egg. The longer an egg stays in the body the more calcium will be deposited on it and the harder it will be to push them out.

Danny

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Ok, so I should leave it alone for 2 weeks. Keep up the temps(90's?)
Thanks
NA

Status
Not open for further replies.