Update on Pinkly(eggs inside)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Belchertown Ma
Well Pinkly had 2 eggs inside after laying one a week previous. I posted her film and was told to watch and wait a little.
I redid the films yesterday and she still had the 2 , in the exact same place. Yuk!!
We decided to give her the injections, calcium first followed by 2 injections of Oxy an hour apart. Nothing as of 10 PM last night. This AM, nothing. I had permission to go on VIN as a DR and read and saw all the posts of torts with egg retention and subsequent surgeries etc. WoW, it is amazing what people put their pets through, and what some doctors can do. Many many survived. Anyway passed her pen 2 hours ago, an egg!!! YES YES, I was still pretty worried as the thought was she still had one in her uterus.
Well Guess what I just pulled out of her table??????? The other EGGG.
I am soooo happy.
So , lesson? I guess keeping the "nesting" area. Even though she never went near it. But I don't think I have other alternatives?
Question
Would having a male even prevent this?
Thanks Na

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I'm glad the eggs are out. :D

Yes keeping the nesting area is a good idea. It gives her time to get used to it and if this happens again and she is digging in a spot thats not deep enough. You can gently move her to a spot she can dig in. This usually works about 50% of the time. :)
No getting a male won't stop this, it'll just insure the eggs are fertile. :p With a male she will also lay more eggs and more clutches per year.

Danny

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Hey Terry, thanks so much and I was thinking of maybe trying to find a male. THEN>>>> I read Dannys post. No thank you this stress is toooo much for me. I had visions of her being opened up on the table to get the eggs out.
Males in many species seem to be the way to go. I would never have a female cat,,, no offense to those who have them, I just have found that females (most, but I am sure not all) like to come and see you on their terms, where as the males just make themselves look like jerks to get attention. Falling off the couch purring trying to get in one more rub. My male dogs are also much more devoted to me, where the females are nice and I love them, but they just don't give themselves to you as much. In my opinion!!! And don't get me started on mares!!!!!Please no hate mail/posts. Just my feelings!!! I know many people who feel the same way about their ladies!!
But when you get right down to it, what is the females role?? to reproduce and carry on, what does a male lion do? Yup, and the female does the whole kit and katbudell. Hunting also. Preservation of the species.
Yes give me males!!!!
Thanks Na

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Oh Nay, you are so funny. You really made me laugh. I'm with you as far as turtles and tortoises go. I've had problems with water turtles laying eggs all over the enclosure. Thank God I've never had a problem with them being "stuck". Maybe in another life we can come back as men. What fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.