Teton

Luke leith

5 Year Member
my baby Sucalta is turning 1 year old July 1 and he hasn't grown all is this ok

Nicole M

5 Year Member
my baby Sucalta is turning 1 year old July 1 and he hasn't grown all is this ok
We'll need more information. All tortoises have different growth rates. Do you have a current weight and size on the tortoise? How long have you had him? Can we see photos of the tortoise and enclosure?

Luke leith

5 Year Member
Yes I need something smaller my parents said because I can't get a big enough tank what tortoise would stay small

JHat

Location (City and/or State)
Deer Park, TX
I noticed you're trying to trade a sulcata for a redfoot for a size difference.

Redfoot torts still get 12"ish. And from your earlier posts you're looking at a 4'x4' flower bed.. I'm not sure your parents will be happy with a redfoot either.

Nicole M

5 Year Member
Ok what would you reccomend
I'm not trying to sound harsh, but if your maximum is 4'x4', then I can't really think of any tortoise species that would thrive in that size enclosure... Perhaps a Russian tortoise, if you're able to go a bit larger (4'x6' or 4'x8'). 4'x4' as a temporary enclosure could work, but not forever.

Nicole M

5 Year Member
What do I do if I can't
If you can't, then I would honestly consider what is best for the animal, and that would be to find him a nice home where he can have enough space to thrive. Some people here on the forum could help you with that. It would be hard, but sulcatas get very large, and he won't be happy in a small space for long. He probably isn't now.

There are certainly other reptiles you could keep! Even some of the smaller aquatic turtle species could be good if you can give them a large enough tank (which would take up a lot of space, but less actual floor space than a tortoise enclosure). Or maybe look into keeping a different species like a bearded dragon.

Whatever you do choose to keep, make sure you do your research BEFORE you get the animal.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
If you need a turtle in a small enclosure, many of the mud/ musk turtles do well and stay small.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm pretty confused. The first post in this thread says, "My baby Sucalta is turning 1 year old July 1 and he hasn't grown all is this ok?"

So if he's not growing, what's the concern about him being too big?

I know you probably really love turtles and tortoises, but, in my opinion, it would be a good idea if you were to put your love of them on a shelf for the time being until you have the space or yard to house them properly. Tortoises are wild animals. You can't put a tortoise into an aquarium and expect it to live a long and healthy life. They need to be set up outside. Yes, people keep them indoors. But those people invest money, time and space to make sure that their tortoise is cared for properly and has the right amount of room to move around.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
To put the above statement into prospective, I waited 30+ years to get one because I live in WI. I can have a 1/2 acre turtle yard, but only for 3-4 months of the year. However, I also have about 6000 sq ft of building space and am willing to heat it and have before.