Sucalta habitat

BILBO-03

So I am hoping to get a sucalta very soon and was going to make a list of what I was going to use :)

1-4x4 foot wood tortoise table

2-exo terra solar glo

3-Exo terra plantation soil

Does that sound like a good start I think I will get another uvb bulb but that is just for nighttime and winter. He will get plenty of outside time:)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. A closed chamber, not a table is the best way to house a sulcata hatchling and most hatchlings for that matter. Hot and humid is what they need to grow healthy and smooth. Check out Toms closed chamber threads. I ceramic heat emitter is best for night time heat. It gives off heat not light. One UVB bulb is usually all that is needed. I like using the mercury vapor bulbs as they give off beat, light and UVB. I don't know what the plantation soil is but coconut coir works great for holding humidity and it doesn't mold or cause impaction if eaten. Also don't forget a low sided clay saucer like used under flower pots. They are best for a water dish.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
So I am hoping to get a sucalta very soon and was going to make a list of what I was going to use :)

1-4x4 foot wood tortoise table

2-exo terra solar glo

3-Exo terra plantation soil

Does that sound like a good start I think I will get another uvb bulb but that is just for nighttime and winter. He will get plenty of outside time:)
Welcome to the forum!:D

Please read the "Beginners Mistakes" thread and the care sheets.;)

And do not forget to post pics of your tort, once you get him/her.;)

BILBO-03

Hello and Welcome. A closed chamber, not a table is the best way to house a sulcata hatchling and most hatchlings for that matter. Hot and humid is what they need to grow healthy and smooth. Check out Toms closed chamber threads. I ceramic heat emitter is best for night time heat. It gives off heat not light. One UVB bulb is usually all that is needed. I like using the mercury vapor bulbs as they give off beat, light and UVB. I don't know what the plantation soil is but coconut coir works great for holding humidity and it doesn't mold or cause impaction if eaten. Also don't forget a low sided clay saucer like used under flower pots. They are best for a water dish.
THANKS THAT HELPS:)

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I don't think that's an 11 inch, mine is 10 and looks much larger, looks really good though.

Last edited by a moderator:

BILBO-03

It says he's 11 but I don't really know but I think he is a good size in the picture kinda what I wanted. Could you post a picture of your 11 inch

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Yeah, I will holding him when I get to the house. This one is definitely good sized and looks very healthy

BILBO-03

The one I want is a good size and looks nice is that what you mean

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Here are the standard sulcata threads:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

If you are getting a 10-12" tortoise and you live in FL, the tortoise should be set up to live outside in a large enclosure with a heated night box. A 4x4' indoor enclosure is fine for hatchlings and babies, but way too small for a juvenile.

Here is an example of a good night box:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/another-night-box-thread.88966/

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If that's the size you are going to try and get, then forget the table and closed chamber and read and do what Tom says in his post. If you get a hatchling, then follow the closed chamber.