Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
AKA: This fairy tale has a happy ending!

Once upon a time...

My electric bill is too high in the winter time, and one thing I thought might help was to tear down all the cinder block tortoise houses and put up wood framed sheds instead. Last summer I did Dudley's house and this summer its the Manouria houses' turn.

In order to make it easier on this old body, I removed one wall of the lath house that surrounds the Manouria houses.

fairytale-1.jpg

For the time being, I just leaned the lattice panels up against the fence. While I was working inside the lath house, Mutt and Jeff, the two Manouria intergrades that I got back because of a divorce, took one look at the lattice and said, "Wow! Look at the opportunity someone has left for us!"

fairytale-2.jpg

fairytale-3.jpg

I worked on my project for a couple more hours, then went inside to rest. Later towards evening, I went to the barn to start my evening feedings. This is what I saw behind the barn:

fairytale-4.jpg

fairytale-5.jpg

OMG!! How did this happen?? I put him back in the pen and did some detective work (and a head count!) and saw that my laziness in leaning the lattice up on the fence rather than take it to the wood pile was the culprit. Thank goodness only one more is missing. But I searched my property to no avail.

You have to understand, that I've accumulated quite a bit of junk in the 70 some odd years of life on this planet. I turned over every board, shined the flashlight under every wood pile, walked and looked at every inch of this property! The two gates allowing entrance and egress both are up off the ground high enough for a tortoise to escape.

First thing I did was to call the paper and place an ad:

Classifieds Fresno bee
Announcements : Lost
By Date

TORTOISE, Shaw & McCall
Tortoise, lost near Shaw & McCall. Call 559 298-7114

Then I placed signs around the neighborhood:

fairytale-9.jpg

fairytale-10.jpg

Then I just worried...No one's gonna' know that he's from the rain forest and can't be in the sun...no one's gonna' know that he doesn't hibernate...he's not gonna' be fed right...a dog or coyote is gonna' get him...

As the days went on and no word was received either from my ad or from my signs, I began to resign myself to the fact that he's gone. Then, 9 days later, I had my can of cat food in my hand and went into the old house to feed the cats. OMG! Here's what I saw:

fairytale-8.jpg

I have no idea where he'd been for the previous nine days, but was I ever happy to see him in the old house. He had to climb up some steps to get in there...and I never even thought about looking there for him.

fairytale-6.jpg

fairytale-7.jpg

After a good soak and some fresh food, he's back to his old tricks and wondering what kind of trouble he can get into next!

Yvonne

big_ideas2.jpg

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
What a wonderfully funny story Yvonne. I'm glad everything turned out good. I love the last two pictures best they are too funny. He looks like quite the character! :) This was a pick me up story thanks for sharing.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Yvonne, so glad you have him back and in good condition. The pics are great and really add to the story of "The Great Escape". Thanks for the chuckle I needed it too.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I assume thos pictures were set up after the fact to show how it was done...
nice little story.. and I like picture books!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Laura said:
I assume thos pictures were set up after the fact to show how it was done...
nice little story.. and I like picture books!

Yeah...all posed pictures. Actually the lattice I had set up on the fence was still in 4'x8' sheets, and the signs were posted on the stop signs on the corner...and little Jeff, one of the escapees, was in the water when I wanted to shoot his picture, that's why he's wet behind the barn. I have since put up a pretty wide horizontal top board on the little desert tortoise pen where Mutt and Jeff fell off of the lattice, so I couldn't pose any pictures in there. But they used the little desert tortoises' house, which is too high for them to climb on, but just right for the big monsters to reach. (Can you imagine what the baby desert tortoises were thinking when these two monsters fell out of the sky into their pen?) They climbed on the roof then went right over the fence. I would have loved to have seen them land. That was twice they had to launch off the top of a fence. Did they land on their back? Wish I could've been there!

Yvonne

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Really nice story :)
I am glad you found him and that he is safe back home. I love story with happy ending :D

Gulf Coast

5 Year Member
Mississippi Gulf Coast
OMG I have got to show this to my oldest daughter.. When Waldo first came here and we were working on his tort table, I kept saying the corners had to be covered and blah blah blah he might get over there or here and she just looked at me and said MOM I THINK YOU ARE GIVING HIM WAYYYY TO MUCH CREDIT... He's a ROCK with legs.. lol.. oh ~~ wait until I show her these pictures.. :p

Once again thanks for sharing.. LOL~~ thinking of chicken little "The sky is falling the sky is falling" Wonder just what the little guys were thinking.. :)

rakadel

5 Year Member
You have one charismatic tort!! Loving it! The pictures are a great touch, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.