The COLOR of food. RED looks delicious

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I've been noticing something very amusing (to me) that I thought I'd share.
I've had as many as 8 different hibiscus bushes on my small property over the years. Many different colors and a few slightly different varieties.
Some days I'll rip off a few branches and toss them with leaves and flowers together into my RF pens. And other times I will just pluck a dozen or so different flowers.
They are RED, ORANGE, YELLOW, PINK and WHITE.
What I've noticed is that every RF that sees a RED hibiscus flower grabs that one first. Every time. Often times trampling over some other flowers to get to the RED ones.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, been said many times that tortoises are attracted to color red. That's why red bulbs are not recommended. They make things look red and the tortoise might eat it.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Zola will sort out every scrap of radicchio out of his food and eat it first.
I once got him a pair of very small bright red Crocs shoes for him to play with - but had to take them away fast, , as he just didn't know whether to mate with them or to eat them.!!!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I've seen Sapphire (Russian) go straight after something blue that he shouldn't eat. But also he'll almost always eat a wild strawberry that I pick for him. Maybe I can use the red color to sneak something new in. I never could get him to eat rose petals though. Maybe the oder wasn't right. We'll see.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Fezzik makes a bee-line for red radicchio, but also eats the green radiccio pretty quickly when the farmer's market it has it. he prefers yellow hibiscus over blue, but I haven't had a red one to give him yet (I planted one about 5 months ago, so have a number of months to go yet). he does like pink hollyhock...