The hibernation sensation

gamera154

Location (City and/or State)
grand terrace ca
Ok so it's been a while since I've been here. First I have owned Gamera for a year now!!!! Ok now to what I am suppose to be talking about. I think he's trying to hibernate. I've done everything from raising temps to increasing daylight hours and soaking him in warm water, and nothing is working, he still wants to burrow down and sleep. He eats like one bite and then runs over everything before he burrows down and sleeps again. So is there any other methods of keeping him awake? I know he's not sick because when I wake him up he's alert and active..... until he goes to sleep again.

Kasia

Poland
Ok so it's been a while since I've been here. First I have owned Gamera for a year now!!!! Ok now to what I am suppose to be talking about. I think he's trying to hibernate. I've done everything from raising temps to increasing daylight hours and soaking him in warm water, and nothing is working, he still wants to burrow down and sleep. He eats like one bite and then runs over everything before he burrows down and sleeps again. So is there any other methods of keeping him awake? I know he's not sick because when I wake him up he's alert and active..... until he goes to sleep again.
Try daily warm soak... it should make him active for enough time to eat a bit otherwise it's hard, keep him hydrated and put out food for the period of him being awake. That is what I do. Sometimes nothing works.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
I have my Russian enclosure by a window, which is probably a double-edged sword. While it can let somewhat of a draft in (despite some good curtains), I think it also helps him to wake up a little more during the day because he gets some natural light. It's cloudy here much of the winter, but when there's sunshine, he's much more alert. :) Do you have a window nearby for cute little Gamera?

gamera154

grand terrace ca
I have my Russian enclosure by a window, which is probably a double-edged sword. While it can let somewhat of a draft in (despite some good curtains), I think it also helps him to wake up a little more during the day because he gets some natural light. It's cloudy here much of the winter, but when there's sunshine, he's much more alert. :) Do you have a window nearby for cute little Gamera?
Yup! We moved his indoor enclosure next to the window last week. He's still sluggish though. He ate a little more today but right after he went to sleep

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Yup! We moved his indoor enclosure next to the window last week. He's still sluggish though. He ate a little more today but right after he went to sleep
Awww, sleepy little dude. My Russian loves to sleep like it's an Olympic sport. Try increasing the light in the room. Sometimes I put on the ceiling light in the room.