The terrible things tortoises endure

Status
Not open for further replies.

herpgirl24

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Thought I would share my tortoise horror story with you all.

I went to visit family in the south. To my surprise they had tortoises! Ten of them that lived in a pen outside, they were all dug down for the winter though. And one inside in a tote. I was told the ones outside were "just desert tortoises" and the one inside was a russian. The russian appeared to be in ok shape, on very dry bedding and no uvb. I was told he will be outside for next winter so she was giving him the bare minimum, Ugh. So I lectured for a few minutes on proper lighting and soaking, etc. When we went back a week later I was introduced to the hatchling. This poor little baby was born outside and the only survivor, he was found by accident as they were walking past the turtle pen. I believe it was found in August, and I visited in January.

This tiny hatchling was being kept in a small fish bowl! No heat light, no UVB, room temperature, dry cypress mulch, and he only has three legs. The food was some sort of dry pellet, which she said he never eats. I nearly put the little guy in my pocket and smuggled him out! Instead, I started lecturing! Daily soaks, with vitamins, heat and uvb! She put thim in with the larger russian and gave them a UVB bulb, which she had in the closet. Once we got the little guy warm I showed her how to give him a nice warm soak. Amazingly, he even ate a few bites and started moving around!

As soon as I got home I looked up tons of information and e-mailed it to her, I hope she follows the advice. A few of her friends also have these "desert tortoises" and although they have all had hatchlings, none of them have survived! Poor little things! It makes me so angry that people have animals like this and wont even take the time to look up proper care. Poor little thing, I cant imagine living in that tiny fish bowl for months, its amazing he was even still alive.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
well in CA you are not allowed to incubate any CDT eggs, by law.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When you think about how many people there are in the world, then hear stories like yours, Mandi, it just boggles my mind. Poor tortoises. But with our membership growing every day, maybe someday stories like this will be a thing of the past.

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
I'm so glad you were able to give them information about how to take care of them. Although, since they are family, I think it would have been acceptable to smuggle the little guy out of there. :tort: Perhaps next time you visit...

M

Maggie Cummings

Did you figure out what kind of tortoises they actually were? I'd also smuggle out the 3 legged baby and if you do, mail him to me...I love raising tortoises that are deformed in some way. Most of mine are missing legs or eyes or arms...I wouldn't know what to do with a tort who actually had all the arms and legs he's supposed to have...:p

herpgirl24

5 Year Member
Michigan
I think she will take better care of him now, if only to show off to her friends that she got one to live. She was really excited when I got him to eat! It was very tempting to try to get him out of there though!

Status
Not open for further replies.