The tortoise table site

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Thanks for reminding us of that site. We DO share that link with folks here all the time.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
One thing to remember about that site is that it was developed by and for UK owners. It's a great resource but others may not be able to research plants from their home locations very well. For those owners we try to help in other ways. :)

Always a good place to start!

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Realize also that there is NO justification for many of their cautions, i.e. no source cited. It is literally no better than my saying something like

Caution, do Not feed wiggle leaf plants, because they have strange sounding chemicals in them. We don't know why these should be cause for alarm, but we are alarmed.

At least one very specific example of the chicken little nature of their cautions regards rose petals. They suggest Do not feed, when you seek the greater detail, it indicates that florist roses have preservatives in them. So the first impression is that roses are not okay to feed.

In fact rose petals and rose hips are great food items. You just have to be aware of their source. Like from your own backyard, they should be good, unless you sprayed them, or your gardener did.

They advise on the side of caution so far they seek you live in a cave.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Realize also that there is NO justification for many of their cautions, i.e. no source cited. It is literally no better than my saying something like

Caution, do Not feed wiggle leaf plants, because they have strange sounding chemicals in them. We don't know why these should be cause for alarm, but we are alarmed.

At least one very specific example of the chicken little nature of their cautions regards rose petals. They suggest Do not feed, when you seek the greater detail, it indicates that florist roses have preservatives in them. So the first impression is that roses are not okay to feed.

In fact rose petals and rose hips are great food items. You just have to be aware of their source. Like from your own backyard, they should be good, unless you sprayed them, or your gardener did.

They advise on the side of caution so far they seek you live in a cave.

Well, they are least have their own robust database, right now to this user, you’re just a dude named @Will. ;)

I know exactly what you mean Will but there is too much conflicting food information out there for new owners as it is. The Tortoise Table site doesn’t just have the database; they have lists of common plants to grow in the UK; and their own forum, where they answer more specific food questions. The site can get owners familiar with safe foods that are likely to grow around them and once they are comfortable as beginners, they can start comparing recommendations from long-term owners here to what’s in the Tortoise Table and making new choices.

You know I’ll feed my Russian near anything, but I don’t recommend that approach to new owners. Most new owners are highly risk averse; the Tortoise Table is imperfect but it fills a legitimate need for them.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I do find the tortoise table rather conservative but for new owners I think it's a good resource/starting point.

Sue Ann

chapin , South Carolina
Exeter
There is a Tortoise table app on android. You can use it for free to find out and check if a plant or flower or cacti is safe. If you are interested.

Exeter
There maybe one on there but I don't have an iPhone so not sure what the equivalent is to Google play store on iPhone.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
IMG_8803.jpg

I use it, although it's too conservative, especially for redfoots ... many of the foods cautioned against are done so without adequate (or sometimes any) reasoning.

Jamie

Last edited:

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
They’re usually pretty good at explaining why they don’t recommend something as food. Others may not agree, but they do put their reasoning.

They take a “better to be safe than sorry” approach which I cannot disagree with... especially in today’s litigious world. Better to be safe than be sued!

They are also British and cater for the diets of those species most common here in the the UK - The Testudo. This happens to work out OK for Sulcatas and Leopards, but they don’t pretend to cater for omnivores like redfoots.

While there are some things I disagree with personally, I will stick with TTT recommendation for newbies. It’s one thing me knowing what’s safe after 40 years; it’s quite another confusing a newbie with conflicting information.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Well, they are least have their own robust database, right now to this user, you’re just a dude named @Will. ;)

I know exactly what you mean Will but there is too much conflicting food information out there for new owners as it is. The Tortoise Table site doesn’t just have the database; they have lists of common plants to grow in the UK; and their own forum, where they answer more specific food questions. The site can get owners familiar with safe foods that are likely to grow around them and once they are comfortable as beginners, they can start comparing recommendations from long-term owners here to what’s in the Tortoise Table and making new choices.

You know I’ll feed my Russian near anything, but I don’t recommend that approach to new owners. Most new owners are highly risk averse; the Tortoise Table is imperfect but it fills a legitimate need for them.
I'm not confident at identifying safe foods even after 5 years so I do like to check with them if I find a possible new food that isn't on the caresheets.
I am also probably over cautious and don't like taking risks with my tort, so it has been a great help to me.

Exeter
Hi everyone, not been on for a while due to being ill and Easter holidays. My tort is growing well. She's adapted a rather teenage like attitude to life but that's fine as I didn't get her as a pet to be handled. I prefer to watch and only handle when I need to weigh her or bath her or to take her outside.

I'm at a point now that I don't rely on my TTT app as much and I have build confidence with foods now. She's very fussy eater. One day she wants dandelions next day wo t touch them lol so I have no choice but to experiment with her.