Thinking about a second one

Status
Not open for further replies.

bawksbawks

5 Year Member
Hello! I have a male russian tort (Darwin) between 7-9 years old. I am thinking about getting a second one for my boyfriend. We want to get a female hatchling if possible. What is your opinion on this? I have a big enough enclosure. When I bought Darwin from petsmart they had 2 torts a male and female in an space half the size of what I have now. Also where are some good trusty places to get another tort from? Thanks!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
As you may or may not know, you can't sex a hatchling. As for getting a second one, get another one, but be prepared that they may have to live separately, especially in an indoor enclosure. But I wouldn't house a hatchling and an adult together.

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
I have the same thought. You should not keep hatchlings with adults....and even if you got a adult female..you shouldn't house them together...always have more females that males...a ratio of 3 to 1 is good...2 to 1....

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Russians can be very aggressive. Just because they had two surviving in a small temporary enclosure while waiting to be sold in a pet store, does not mean it is good for them or advisable for the long term. I think getting more tortoises is a great idea, but house them separately. We have several russian breeders here on the forum. Try an ad in the wanted section.

bawksbawks

5 Year Member
I thought you couldn't sex the hatchling but I thought i'd ask anyway. So there is NO way I can put anything in with him to socialize him?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Russians aren't social, they are territorial. Unless you have a nice big outdoor enclosure, he is better off living all by himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.