Thinking About Getting A Tortoise

SpeedyClaxton54

I live in Michigan and I am thinking about getting a tortoise. I was wondering which types of Tortoises would be good to start with and what kind of tank/habitat I should get. I don't have the space to make an outdoor habitat and and house the tortoise inside. I have a 40 gallon breeder aquarium right now, would that be good to start with or should I get something else? Any help/advice would be great. Thanks!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). All tortoises should be able to get some outside time. Sounds like you have very limited space. A 40 gallon isn't really big enough for anything excoet a hatchling for a short time. I would recommend a russian, however, may be better for when you can get more room to properly house an adult outside.

SpeedyClaxton54

Hello and Welcome:). All tortoises should be able to get some outside time. Sounds like you have very limited space. A 40 gallon isn't really big enough for anything excoet a hatchling for a short time. I would recommend a russian, however, may be better for when you can get more room to properly house an adult outside.
Do they need permanent shelter outside or would and hour or two outside every couple of days under close watch be okay? I currently have a RES turtle and I had a kiddie pool for him to spend some time in every couple of days. I would sit out there with him and watch him as he walked around in the pool, would something along those lines be somewhat adequate for a tortoise or no?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum!

One thing to think about in aquarium sizes is that the "gallon" includes how much water it holds because of the tall sides. Your tortoise doesn't need tall sides, he need a lot of floor space. So "40 gallons" sounds like a lot, but it's really not big enough

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, and welcome to Tortoise Forum.
You have to decide if you're getting a baby or an adult and what type of tortoise, but they all need a lot of space, especially if you have no outdoor option.
Greeks, Hermanns and Russians are all good starter tortoises, but will need 4' by 8' enclosures or bigger and only a little smaller for a baby which will soon outgrow a smaller tank.
A permanent outside enclosure is obviously better, but some people do manage without.

SpeedyClaxton54

Welcome to the Forum!

One thing to think about in aquarium sizes is that the "gallon" includes how much water it holds because of the tall sides. Your tortoise doesn't need tall sides, he need a lot of floor space. So "40 gallons" sounds like a lot, but it's really not big enough
I figured it wasn't enough but it was worth a shot. Are glass aquariums okay to use though because they have long ones for reptiles. So it would still be considered 40 gallons but shorter walls giving it more area..

SpeedyClaxton54

Hello, and welcome to Tortoise Forum.
You have to decide if you're getting a baby or an adult and what type of tortoise, but they all need a lot of space, especially if you have no outdoor option.
Greeks, Hermanns and Russians are all good starter tortoises, but will need 4' by 8' enclosures or bigger and only a little smaller for a baby which will soon outgrow a smaller tank.
A permanent outside enclosure is obviously better, but some people do manage without.
The more and more I hear from people the more I think a tortoise might not be a great option, sadly. Thanks for the feedback!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Do they need permanent shelter outside or would and hour or two outside every couple of days under close watch be okay? I currently have a RES turtle and I had a kiddie pool for him to spend some time in every couple of days. I would sit out there with him and watch him as he walked around in the pool, would something along those lines be somewhat adequate for a tortoise or no?

A kiddy pool can be used for some outside time. It's best if you can put them in some kind of enclosure, like the pool, cuz they can blend in really well and get lost easily. If you have the room for a couple joined kiddy pools for an inside enclosure or at least a 3x6 or better would be a 4x8 inside enclosure with daily kiddy pool outside time during the warm weather, that would be good for a russian, or even a hermanni. Always the more room you can give the better.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I figured it wasn't enough but it was worth a shot. Are glass aquariums okay to use though because they have long ones for reptiles. So it would still be considered 40 gallons but shorter walls giving it more area..
Glass aquariums are fine too use, however, they really are only good for hatchlings upto about a year old and more expensive then needed. Kiddy pools or a couple large tote boxes joined tof ether is better and much less expensive.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The more and more I hear from people the more I think a tortoise might not be a great option, sadly. Thanks for the feedback!
I think you can do it, just not with your original idea. Larger inside house with daily outside time during warm weather and if can work.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum.

Torts do need a lot of space, and more than I personally thought. However, after a lot of research as well as the help I got from the forum members, I managed to do a lot for my Greek tort: an enclosure as large as I could make it, (as I live in a flat), feeding it, taking outside for a 'walk' when it's nice and sunny, and of course soaks in warm water.

Good luck.