Thinking about getting one...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smithen

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Cincinnati Ohio
Hey everyone, so I have been thinking about getting a water turtle for some time now but still can't decide. I really like snappers but being a beginner on turtles I don't think I will be getting one. I have been looking into Loggerhead Musk turtles or Razorback Musk turtles but still can't decide. I have a 40 gallon breeder tank and a Fluval 205 canister filter that only has one goldfish in it right now. I'm really not sure what I'm trying to get after with this post lol, maybe suggestions on those types of turtles, substrate needed? what size tank should I really have? Is there a turtle that could live in that size of tank comfortably?

Tyler

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
well first of all you should decide on the eventual size of the turtle, snappers will get very big and require a lot of room, their own pond eventually plus some states outlaw them so it may not be possible to get one. A good beginner is always a red ear slider, very hardy, inexpensive, too. I have owned both musks in the past and they are also a good choice, they stay small, don't require huge amounts of water, they are more shallow stream than deep swimmer like a RES. Of course you are back east so you have easier access to diamond back terrapins a favorite of mine.

Smithen

5 Year Member
Cincinnati Ohio
Ya I like snappers but I don't plan on getting one for a long time, waiting till I have my own place and can make a nice pond. I thought about a RES but im trying to stay as small as I can and I know they can get to be about 12". I was thinking the the Loggerhead because I heard they stay small, about 5", and they look a little like a snapper which I like alot. I have seen DBT at reptile shows and they are beautiful but I dont know much about them. I would love to be able to use my 40 gallon breeder tank but more then that I would want my turtle to be comfortable.

Tyler

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm not a water turtle expert, but I THINK that the mud/musk turtles don't do a lot of swimming. They mainly walk along the bottom. So in order for them to get a breath of air, it would help them to be able to walk up the rocks or sand or whatever to the top of the water, rather than having to swim up to the top. And they kind of look like a smaller version of the snapper.

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
I am getting my first DBT tomorrow! I'm excited! I really like all that i have read and seen on DBT's. There is alot of information out there on them and they are readily available in a number of varieties and colorings.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
muds, reeves are some of the smallest ones around I got a fully grown reeve's right now I had it for over 20 years now and it measures like 5 inches that is it, .

oscar

10 Year Member!
Illinois
Having painted, red ear sliders, map, snapper and common musk turtles over the years. I feel the best turtle that I have had is the common musk turtle, they are like mini submarines in a tank and very enjoyable to sit and watch them swimming around. the best thing about them is that they don't get big so you don't have to keep upgrading to a bigger tank as they grow. If nothing else read up on the common musk turtle.

Smithen

5 Year Member
Cincinnati Ohio
One thing I worry about is they are called Musk turtles, do they have a bad smell worse then a normal turtle would normally have?

Tyler

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Only if they are scared/startled out of water. They have scent glands near their tail and release a musky secretion.

Muds/musks and Reeve's turtles are great. I have a male Reeve's, a male Stinkpot, and a juvi Three Lined musk. Anything in the mud/musk category (the exception being anything labeled "giant") and Reeve's turtles can live full time in a 40 gallon breeder.

Smithen

5 Year Member
Cincinnati Ohio
Sounds good to me, I'm pretty sure I will go with a loggerhead musk turtle. Now I just need to figure out aquarium setup, car, and where to get one lol.

Tyler

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Smithen said:
Sounds good to me, I'm pretty sure I will go with a loggerhead musk turtle. Now I just need to figure out aquarium setup, car, and where to get one lol.

Tyler

Loggerheads are not too common in USA, because most breeders are located in Florida and loggerheads are a protected species there. You might wanna try some classifieds, or post an ad somewhere to look for one.

As for care, just google musk turtle care and you'll find hundreds of results. All musk turtles have the same basic care and loggerheads are no different.

Status
Not open for further replies.