Status
Not open for further replies.

slimytoadstool

5 Year Member
tortoises101 said:
slimytoadstool said:
tortoises101 said:
slimytoadstool said:
Since getting all that stuff in, i have since been offered White limestone rock. Is this safe to use in the tank or is there anything i need to do first?

The limestone probably will dissolve and leave calcium in the water just like a cuttlebone. Limestone's perfectly fine to use in a turtle tank, just enjoy it while it lasts. ;)

How long will it take to dissolve though?

How big is your piece?

Theyre just rocks! About hand size but bulky

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ontario, Canada
slimytoadstool said:
tortoises101 said:
slimytoadstool said:
tortoises101 said:
slimytoadstool said:
Since getting all that stuff in, i have since been offered White limestone rock. Is this safe to use in the tank or is there anything i need to do first?

The limestone probably will dissolve and leave calcium in the water just like a cuttlebone. Limestone's perfectly fine to use in a turtle tank, just enjoy it while it lasts. ;)

How long will it take to dissolve though?

How big is your piece?

Theyre just rocks! About hand size but bulky

Even if the turtles scratch/bite it constantly, it should last at several months. If it's left untouched it should last longer.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I've had cuttlebone float in a tank literally for years and never dissolve. I use limestone rocks in several of my Mbuna tanks, and no problems with dissolution there either. The water would have to be quite acidic to make the rocks "disappear."

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
I have experiance with eastern musk turtles Sternotherus odoratus. They are in my experiance primarilly (dont think thats correct) nocturnal and of fairly shallow water 2m or less. they also sometimes wonder on land and occasionally climb slanted trees to bask in cool weather. u.v. lights are of benifit for they can use u.v.b to make d3.

sand is the best substrate to use for aquatic turtles of any kind. use bacteria cultures i recommend nite out II, special blend and substrate and gravel cleaner. they are all sold under the brand microbe lift. I use them in my all my turtle tanks and generally have little to no nitrate and 0 ammonia or nitrite which i know can be difficult in turtle tanks. thought i still do weekly water changes

i agree with the whole lime stone dissolving in the water it would have to have a low pH like maybe 4 but that wouldn't last long with the limestone dissolving. though while on the matter of pH you should try to get close to the pH of the species you decide on native water's pH because water chemistry affects many aspects of the turtles body chemistry much un the way they do fish but in some ways to a lesser extent. if you want to see pictures of two of my tanks i'm going to put them in my photo album or at least try

well i tried to and the thing gave me the message impossible to move. any ideas

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Saloli said:
I have experiance with eastern musk turtles Sternotherus odoratus. They are in my experiance primarilly (dont think thats correct) nocturnal and of fairly shallow water 2m or less. they also sometimes wonder on land and occasionally climb slanted trees to bask in cool weather. u.v. lights are of benifit for they can use u.v.b to make d3.

sand is the best substrate to use for aquatic turtles of any kind. use bacteria cultures i recommend nite out II, special blend and substrate and gravel cleaner. they are all sold under the brand microbe lift. I use them in my all my turtle tanks and generally have little to no nitrate and 0 ammonia or nitrite which i know can be difficult in turtle tanks. thought i still do weekly water changes

i agree with the whole lime stone dissolving in the water it would have to have a low pH like maybe 4 but that wouldn't last long with the limestone dissolving. though while on the matter of pH you should try to get close to the pH of the species you decide on native water's pH because water chemistry affects many aspects of the turtles body chemistry much un the way they do fish but in some ways to a lesser extent. if you want to see pictures of two of my tanks i'm going to put them in my photo album or at least try

They're nocturnal but they can be found in water up to 9m deep that's choked with weeds.

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
tortoises101 said:
Saloli said:

They're nocturnal but they can be found in water up to 9m deep that's choked with weeds.

never seen on that deep (i do free diving {scubba without a tank basiclly}). i believe you i've just never seen them that deep. were the ones you know of that deep the same species?

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Jharris1385 said:

:O
Talk about a nice turtle setup. The bauriis look happy in there! :)

Saloli said:
tortoises101 said:
Saloli said:

never seen on that deep (i do free diving {scubba without a tank basiclly}). i believe you i've just never seen them that deep. were the ones you know of that deep the same species?

I've never observed S.oderatus in the wild, as they are declining pretty badly in Ontario. I am planning to do some field research with them in the summer though. Anyways, yes, they can be found in deep water, but they tend to stay away from the really deep areas.

kyryah said:
I've had cuttlebone float in a tank literally for years and never dissolve. I use limestone rocks in several of my Mbuna tanks, and no problems with dissolution there either. The water would have to be quite acidic to make the rocks "disappear."

Does your cuttlebone have the hard backing removed? How acidic or alkaline is your water?

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
the tank in the video is a nice tank though i would have used plants and fish from the same place. i generally speeking don't mix species from different places (exception being food like house crickets and mealworms)

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
TMG ISLAND3R said:
Are the muds and razorbacks readly available in canada?

The only 'common' turtle in Canada are RES (red eared sliders). Unfortunately, we don't have a lot of breeders up here. Try kijiji and Reptiles Canada classifieds. I've also seen some razorback hatchlings for sale in Lucky Aquarium in Pacific Mall.

Status
Not open for further replies.